Removing a (heavy) load bearing wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm currently house-hunting and have seen many many properties that are structurally almost identical. They are 1930s built 3 bed semis which have a solid wall running the full depth of the house, front to back, dividing the hall & kitchen from the 2 receptions.

I am yet to see a single one which has knocked through this wall from the kitchen to the dining room so am wondering if it is even possible. The dividing wall is supporting the wall above, which I expect in turn will have roof beams across it. I can see how you would replace a wall that supports ceiling rafters, since you can support the overhang on the beams while you slide the lintel in place, but how on earth would a builder support the wall above while putting the lintel in place??

Based on this information does this change sound possible?

Thanks
James

Sponsored Links
Needles through the wall are wedged off the floor, and then the floor is propped

I concur with the woods. Needling is commonplace where using existing joists is not an option.

Needling can be done above the joists, i.e. in the first floor rooms or below, actually in the room you are working.

The downside of doing it below is you end up showing a large amount of support material. Needling upstairs means you can conceal the beam, or most of it, between the joists.

Sponsored Links
I concur with the woods. Needling is commonplace where using existing joists is not an option.

Needling can be done above the joists, i.e. in the first floor rooms or below, actually in the room you are working.

The downside of doing it below is you end up showing a large amount of support material. Needling upstairs means you can conceal the beam, or most of it, between the joists.

Blimey that's clever. Thanks guys. Definitely not DIY job!

No quotes of course ;) .. but what might I be looking at paying for a 15' span? 5K.. 10K.. 20K?? Obviously I can't get a proper quote for an as yet undetermined property, so I could really do with a guide price so I know what properties are "potentials".

I personally wouldn't pay over £5k its a realitifly straight forward job the main cost are the lintel and the hire of accrow props / pins to support wall and downstairs ceilings whilst work is done for £20k i'd want an extension!
but i'm a tight arse gas man not a builder :LOL: :LOL:

The job should come in at around 2k, but a significant part of the cost could be making good any disturbance to other rooms, i.e. needling and knock-out repairs etc.

Only a visit could say for sure.

:eek: £2 to 5K!? Ignoring the cost of materials this sounded like a more complex operation than building an extension to me (unless the extension includes doing the same to an external wall of course). Even for twice that money I can't figure out why everyone doesn't do it. For budgeting purposes I'll play safe and assume £7.5K. Cheers all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back