Removing a key safe (resolved)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have had a four digit combination key safe by the front door for a number of years to allow carers into the house for my father, as circumstances have now changed (my father passed away last year) I thought I would either remove it or relocate it somewhere less obvious however when trying the known combination I cannot get it to open. I am thinking something has slipped with the mechanism or the tumblers have failed.

I don't mind if the safe is knackered at the end but what is the easiest way to remove it? I don't want to batter it with a lump hammer as it may damage the brick and as it is in an obvious location then it would be unsightly.

Have your usual power tools available if anyone has any tips.

Cheers

Ian

Sponsored Links
Normally they only have a cpouple of screws holding them to the wall

You could try a pad saw hacksaw slipped down the back but if it was me I'd drill a series of holes in the front to open it and then remove the screws as normal

Sponsored Links
I removed one of these last year using an angle grinder to cut away the "lock" so could then open it up and remove the screws securing it to the wall.

I removed one of these last year using an angle grinder to cut away the "lock" so could then open it up and remove the screws securing it to the wall.
I thought it might come down to an angle grinder. I didn't know if it would be possible to drill the corners out and remove the hinge.

angle grinder corner to corner then all round sides then you can get to screws to take it off

What type of lock is it, push button or four numbered wheels to turn. There are ways to "discover" the combination on some types of key safe. If your safe is one of those I will send you a PM on how to try and discover the combination.

Thanks for the pointers and suggestions. Key safe now removed using a drill and angle grinder. Drilled the corners that held the metal rod/hinge. Then used the angle grinder to go over the top where the locking mechanism. Removed a lot easier than I thought it would.

What type of lock is it, push button or four numbered wheels to turn. There are ways to "discover" the combination on some types of key safe. If your safe is one of those I will send you a PM on how to try and discover the combination.

This is also a good way to get access to a set of ladders in a BT Exchange. I'm even polite enough to put them back when I've finished!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back