removing a timber and plaster board wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi im moving into a new house and considering knocking the wall down
between my living room and dining room to make a bigger living space

Other houses on the same row have had this done and ive spoken to the people who live there and they've put an r.s.j in to stop the ceiling
sagging .

would a timber or steel rsj be best for this , some have said they've used 4 x 2 or 4 x 3 timber and some have used steel

the existing wall is timber frame with plasterboard about 3m long with a door joining the two rooms, any advice would be greatly appreciated

thanks

Sponsored Links
It depends on if this wall is supporting anything. ie: A wall directly above it. or even the one it's attached to.

There's a big difference between 4x2, 4x3 and steel beams. So I would suggest that some of them have bodged it.
As such, I would completely ignore their advice and get a builder to have a look.

Just because the neighbours have done it doesn't mean that you can. Your wall may be the only thing left that's holding up their house!

Is it a timber framed house or brick/block? When was the house built?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back