Removing Adam's fire surround

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’ve hopefully posted the right forum but not really sure where this fits. I recently moved into a new property & in the process of re-furbishing & the property has two Adam’s fire surrounds with electric fires, one in timber & the other in stone. The fires & surrounds are as new but not to our taste &, although removing the electric fires has been straight forward, I cannot see how the surrounds are fixed to the wall. I assume the stone surrounds & hearth are permanently fixed & will probably not survive removal but I had hoped to at least remove the surrounds for resale. Never having fitted one of these before, I have no idea how they might be fitted but I cannot see any visible means of fixing that I can “unfix” for either surround! Can anyone help/advise or do I just take an SDS drill to both of them?

Sponsored Links
Never having fitted one of these before, I have no idea how they might be fitted but I cannot see any visible means of fixing that I can “unfix” for either surround! Can anyone help/advise or do I just take an SDS drill to both of them?

That sort of thing are usually fixed to the wall with brackets, then the brackets are plastered over. Easy way to work out where the brackets are, is buy running a metal detector around the item, to find where the brackets are located.

Turns out it was all stuck to the wall/floor with silicone so careful prising with a crow bar & a claw hammer freed it all up. Assuming the stone one is fixed the same way, it's one down one to go!

Sponsored Links
Be aware that the stone one ( depending on design ) may have a desire to topple forward when attachment to the wall is released.

Prop it to prevent it falling forward and as far as is possible keep out of the area where it might fall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back