Removing add on from old fashioned fuse board

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have a double socket in my conservatory which is wired straight into an old style fuse board(pull out fuses). The conservatory is being knocked down next weekend ready for a new extension. I need to remove this double socket before the demolition though.
Is it just a case of shutting the fuse board off and removing this add on?
Then re powering once all is removed.
I know my electrics are out dated and we are having a full rewire once the extension is up and water tight.
Thanks
Andy

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't recommend opening up an old wylex rewireable fuse board without the knowledge to do so safely.

Can you not trace the cable back, then with the power off, break into the cable (maybe near the fuse board) and put another socket on the new end temporarily - you can then remove the dead length of cable without having to go poking around in a potentially dangerous fuseboard

In the main a conservatories power is a spur off a socket in the house. Since we have no idea of earthing system I would say turn off all power and draw fuses nothing wrong with belt and bracer's.

Inspect and try and work out what socket or FCU the supply comes from. Remove the supply then turn power back on and make sure socket is dead. Switch off again (just in case) and remove the conservatories socket.

If on inspection you find the conservatories socket has two cables then don't touch get an electrician. It is unusual to have a ring final socket in a conservatory but if you have then important the ring is maintained which means some special tests.

If the socket does go back to the fuse board then again one has to consider it may be part of a ring so again electrician is best method.

Hi,
I have a double socket in my conservatory which is wired straight into an old style fuse board(pull out fuses). I need to remove this double socket.
Is it just a case of shutting the fuse board off and removing this add on?
Then re powering once all is removed.

You will need to use the safe isolation procedures and prove the circuit/installation is dead.
Old wylex fuse boards can be a little dangerous, as there are plenty of exposed live parts if you do not isolate at main switch and I would still be cautious of the live tails going in to the main isolator.

If the socket is nearby the board it could be a straight forward spur from the socket circuit or just a one socket radial.
But it may be part of an entire socket circuit and unless the conductor are reconnected or reconfigured you may suffer power loss on other parts of the circuit or break the ring's continuity.

Sponsored Links
Not sure I'd recommend a DIY chap go and start trying to remove a cable from one though, Bas... They seem to normally be knitted together at the back and it would be all too easy to flash the earth across the in-coming terminals or catch them with your hand, etc.

The advice on cutting the cable near to where it leaves the board and making the end safe is the best one I feel

I personally don't think the inside of an old wylex board is a good place for a DIYer to be working.

About 80% of wylex standards I see are missing the incommer shrouds, so even with the main switch off, there are huge live bits in there.

I personally don't think the inside of an old wylex board is a good place for a DIYer to be working. ... About 80% of wylex standards I see are missing the incommer shrouds, so even with the main switch off, there are huge live bits in there.
FWIW, I agree - at least in terms of any DIYer who needs to be asking here about doing it.

Kind Regards, John

So before cutting the cable the OP MUST ensure it is dead, I'm sure you agree.

So the fuse can be removed (but not the neutral) from outside the CU.
The circuit can be proved dead at the socket in the conservatory.
Do not some of you suggest that a cable isn't safe to work on unless the neutral is disconnected?

But unless the cable can be traced from the socket back to the CU all the way there is no proof that the cable the OP may want to cut is dead!

Ah but you say the CU main switch can be switched off, that makes everything dead.
Only if the cable is proved dead and traced from where it is dead to where it is to be cut.
Which may mean that the CU cover may need to be removed to prove the cable being cut is actually dead!

Ah but you say the CU main switch can be switched off, that makes everything dead. ... Only if the cable is proved dead and traced from where it is dead to where it is to be cut. ... Which may mean that the CU cover may need to be removed to prove the cable being cut is actually dead!
All strictly true, but some common sense is probably needed. If one switches off the Main Switch and can show that every accessible circuit in the house has become dead, if one also removes the fuse that one believes is protecting the cable one intends to cut, and if one cuts the cable close to the CU. so that one knows that it originates from that CU, then I really don't think that many people would have much cause to be concerned.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back