What is the best configuration to add a these additional sockets?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Hope someone can advise as I think I have started to overthink this!

I originally had a trailing extension lead plugged into the double socket which ran up a wall and into a cavity behind a wall mounted TV.
Doing a small redecorating job I want to neaten this up but also hard wire in a new 1.35kW heater.

Pictures:
First double socket - ring main, looks like this is the entry point from the fuse box
Second socket - fused switch for old heater (now removed)
Third (empty) socket - heater single control switch connected to fused switch (was here but I have removed it)

- I would like a dedicated double socket mounted behind the TV (in the rear cavity), to power the TV and maybe a soundbar
- I would like to hard wire the heater directly into the fused switch

With not being able to add an additional spur, I can't think how this can be best achieved without having to insert another socket in the ring (which I would rather not do as cables are quite tight), or have another trailing extension lead.

Any advise appreciated!

IMG_0162.jpg IMG_0163.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
To add, types off appliances maybe being powered - TV, Soundbar, AMP (not likely, but maybe), Sky Box, Gaming System, Digital Photo Frame - and of course the heater!

IMG_0164.jpg

Last edited:
Use 4mm² cable from the socket which can handle the 32A of the MCB no matter how many sokets you fit or what you plug in..

Thanks EFL, understand, but for configuration I'm finding it hard to visualise this without 2 spurs or spur-on-spur? - I would like to hard wire the heater into the fused switch spur low on the wall (next to the existing double), and then add an additional double socket behind the TV cavity.

Sponsored Links
Two (or more) sockets are allowed on 4mm² spur cable as it can handle the same current as the ring circuit.

Cable from socket wires to Supply/In of FCU (Fused Connector Unit), cable from those same termials to TV socket.
Heater cable from Load/Out of FCU.

Brilliant, thanks - so in my mind a spur on spur using 4mm2?

Yes.

Just to point out - 2.5mm² is all that is actually required between the fused switch and the one double socket.

However, using the 4mm² allows more sockets to be added, so you may as well use the 4mm² as you have it.
It's much nicer to use than 2.5mm² anyway.

Thanks EFL - just one more thing which may be an issue:

Please see in the first picture attached - the left hand double socket is wired as above.

IMG_0187.jpg

The open hole where the previous gas fire electric socket was, you can see what I believe to be the mains flex (in the above image), looks to be running along the back.

IMG_0188.jpg

I am wondering whether or not this is 6mm or 4mm soft flex (I can see no writing anywhere), and actually whether the previous owner (council electrician), would have used this for the gas fire (would a gas-electric fire have needed greater than 2.5mm?).

What would you suggest?

The old fire has been removed and disconnected (I can't see or recall disconnecting this cable type as it was a while ago).

I could disconnect the white flex from the socket and see if all sockets up and down continue to work? And if so, am I fine to continue with the above wiring, even though the main feed would no longer be at this point?

Last edited:
The open hole where the previous gas fire electric socket was, you can see what I believe to be the mains flex (in the above image), looks to be running along the back.

I am wondering whether or not this is 6mm or 4mm soft flex (I can see no writing anywhere), and actually whether the previous owner (council electrician), would have used this for the gas fire
Can't tell - although it does look quite big.
He might have used whatever he had.

(would a gas-electric fire it have needed greater than 2.5mm?).
No.

The old fire has been removed and disconnected (I can't see or recall disconnecting this cable type as it was a while ago).
It must go somewhere. Who knows what someone might have done?

I could disconnect the white flex from the socket and see if all sockets up and down continue to work?
Could do.

And if so, am I fine to continue with the above wiring, even though the main feed is not at this point?
Not sure what you mean.

Taking multiple socket-outlets/points off the spur in 4mm^2 cable risks concentrating the load of the ring too much around one of the ring cables, rather than a more even distribution. I would not consider it a strictly compliant method of alteration.

Taking multiple socket-outlets/points off the spur in 4mm^2 cable risks concentrating the load of the ring too much around one of the ring cables, rather than a more even distribution.
No different than having multiple sockets on the ring at the same point.

I would not consider it a strictly compliant method of alteration.
Then you would be wrong.

Hi EFL,
I have traced it to a 150W electric heater in the downstairs toilet.
So, can I have 2 separate 4mm spurs on the same socket, or should I rewire the toilet heater into the fused switch/back of the new double socket?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back