removing and reinstalling pattress box...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to run a satellite cable to every bedroom in the house. The builders had only installed one run - which is used for terrestrial tv. I have succeeded in getting a sat feed into two of the bedrooms by taping the second cable to the one that was already in there, removing the socket in the bedroom and pulling through.
I've hit a snag on the third bedroom - which is a shame. its only a distance of about a meter from attic floor to bedroom socket - but they must be tied together or something. I wonder if I turn off the electricity, remove the pattress box and then i may well be able to see a loose wire if i feed one down from above?

Could I do this and still be able to get the pattress box back in?
Could I take it out in the first place without taking big chunks of plaster with me?

Sponsored Links
Correct me here if I am wrong but why not just use the run that was already there to distribute it?

I assume you are just running co-ax cable and not CT100 satellite cable so you won't require a sky box in each room.

If you are running co-ax the stream that is already there will carry terrestrial and sky. If terrestrial aerial is plugged into the back of the sky box and the RF output from the sky box will have those channels plus the currently selected sky channel.

Hence find where all the current runs end (distribution unit in the loft) and just feed from RF2 on the sky box to the input of the distribution box.

This could all be wrong however if you are using component video or something because of the crappy co-ax quality or are planning on having a sky box in each room (don't fancy paying your subscription if so).

@chaosss: Thanks for posting. I absolutely detest sky - and wont be having sky in the house. I'm in ireland and have terrestrial analog tv with irish/uk channels. I want a second run for digital satellite - which I am also in the process of setting up. It may never be used by my house guests ( i rent a few rooms to help pay the mortgage) but it
a. allows another option
b. future proofs the house to some extent
c. adds to the value of the house to a small degree.

I can get cctv down if i decide to stick up some security cameras or if redundant could pull out the cable and pull through some cat6 network cable in the process.

Anyways, I think I will give it a go either way when i'm off work on Monday. Fingers crossed I dont create a bigger job!

Sponsored Links
ah right sorry I misunderstood. When you said digital satellite I assumed but I shouldn't have done.

One thing to consider then is to run lengths of Cat5 cable as well. This will allow you to distribute the internet or phone etc.

I am just doing my house and plan to run a minimum of 4 runs of CAt5e to every room and probably co-ax.

you can use Cat5e cable to transmit video/audio as well which is primarily what I will use it for.

Anyway good luck

How are you going to distribute the signal from the dish? , you can't just run it into a boaster as you could an aerial, and AFAIK there are two ways to do things

1) A multiway LNB, with each way feeding a separate satellite output

2) A special 'Quatro' LNB feeding into a 'multiswitch' which then feeds a signal down to each room. (not sure what exactly happens within this set up and how it works tho :confused: ) [ http://www.satellitesuperstore.com/multiswitch.htm]

Adam_151 said:
How are you going to distribute the signal from the dish? , you can't just run it into a boaster as you could an aerial, and AFAIK there are two ways to do things

1) A multiway LNB, with each way feeding a separate satellite output

2) A special 'Quatro' LNB feeding into a 'multiswitch' which then feeds a signal down to each room. (not sure what exactly happens within this set up and how it works tho :confused: ) [ http://www.satellitesuperstore.com/multiswitch.htm][/QUOTE]
No probs on that end of things. Just going to use a 4/6 way switch.

@chaosss: Your suggestion is a good one - your right, I should sort out network points while i'm at it. This means that I will have to 'cut out' a slot for another socket beside the double pattress box with single electric & TV wall plates. I'm not the greatest of diyers by any stretch of the imagination.

HOW can I do this without leaving a mess?
Any online guides on the subject?

assuming the wall is plasterboard just mark out and cut with a stanly knife

borderfox100 said:
@chaosss: Your suggestion is a good one - your right, I should sort out network points while i'm at it.

The good thing about Cat5e cable is that you can basically run anything across it you want not just network points (although that is it primary use).

I would suggest running more cables than yuo think you need now rather than doing it in the future.

Cat5e will be able to support HD TV etc and although you may think it is over the top now for the price of the cable best to put it in. I would say 4 lines per room should be enough (1 or 2 audio and visual (including CCTV if neccessary), 1 network, 1 phone).

plugwash said:
assuming the wall is plasterboard just mark out and cut with a stanly knife
Thanks for that plugwash.

chaosss said:
Cat5e will be able to support HD TV etc and although you may think it is over the top now for the price of the cable best to put it in. I would say 4 lines per room should be enough (1 or 2 audio and visual (including CCTV if neccessary), 1 network, 1 phone).

I agree 100% with you. Will do this.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back