Removing internal walls - steel advice

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Hey,

We are investigating the possibility of removing 3 internal walls (sections of walls) to make 3 small rooms into one large room.

One 6.5 meters, Holding up floor joists and stud walls
One 3.5 meters, No joists but a “vertical beam” that is under a roof purlin
One 1.5 meters, Holding up a couple of floor joists

The 2 smaller guys will be bolted into the bigger. 4 No 20mmdia BB with 10mm plate

I've had an SE have a look. He has recommended 254*146*31 UB for the 6.5 M and
203x102x23.1 for the 2 smaller guys.

The 6.5 M guy will not have any upright apart from at one end by internal wall (100 * 100 * 5 SHS - see diagram)

The steel will be going in flush to the cavity walls but sitting on padstone or lintels

See attached diagram for some more detail.

This might be a bit light on detail but thats basically my current knowledge.

What I want advice on is:
1. Are there any major stand out concerns with this?
2. What further questions should I be asking to the SE and builder?

Thanks!

Attachments

• Steel.png
    Steel.png
    251.3 KB · Views: 151
Sponsored Links
You could ask the builder what further information they require from the structural engineer in order to carry out the work.

Thanks Leofric. Yes, I'll do that.

My concern is around the complexity, i.e. removing 3 sections of wall and the 6.5 M span. Would be interested in some independent
opinions. Builder and SE admit it is slightly complex but have no major concerns i.e "all doable".

Under CDM (Construction Design and Management Regulations) the engineer and the builder have a duty to produce method statements and risk assessments to dictate how the work is to be done and done safely. And you as the client have a duty to see that they do.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Woody, any initial thoughts or comments on the particulars of the job. The complexity etc?
I found it hard to find a comparable job online. Most seem to be extension knock throughs or single beam replacing an internal wall.

Under CDM (Construction Design and Management Regulations) the engineer and the builder have a duty to produce method statements and risk assessments to dictate how the work is to be done and done safely. And you as the client have a duty to see that they do.
CDM regs? OP is not in the UK.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back