Removing Kitchen Door - Fire Regs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have searched the forum but haven't found an answer to this, so I hope you may be able to point me in the right direction.

I have removed my internal kitchen door for decoration and have realised we prefer it that way. The existing is poorly configured, with a nearby bathroom and cupboard getting in the way.

There is no other door between the kitchen and the upstairs of the house, but the existing one is not a fire door.

I am concerned about building control, fire regulations, and invalidating house insurance.

Sponsored Links
Can you post a rough plan (just a simple sketch) showing the floor plans? When was the house built?

You are probably over thinking it...its normally how many stories the house has that dictates the need for fire doors...2 stories require none. Your insurance will have a line about smoke heat / alarms - given their cost why would you not fit a few. Heat in the kitchen, smoke alarm up and down all interlinked. Battery 10 year wireless are fine even our dear government recommends them... https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...re/fire-safety-in-the-home-accessible-version.

Sponsored Links
I have searched the forum but haven't found an answer to this, so I hope you may be able to point me in the right direction.

I have removed my internal kitchen door for decoration and have realised we prefer it that way. The existing is poorly configured, with a nearby bathroom and cupboard getting in the way.

There is no other door between the kitchen and the upstairs of the house, but the existing one is not a fire door.

I am concerned about building control, fire regulations, and invalidating house insurance.
Is it a house or a flat .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back