Removing load bearing wall with an RSJ

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello there,

Sorry if this has been covered before, I've had a good search but can't find something that covers my exact needs.

I'm in the process of removing a load bearing wall between my living room and dining room. I've had a structural engineer out and got my drawing, hoping it appears below?

The thing it my structural engineering company has gone out of business and trying to keep this on budget I don't want to call in another engineer. The reason I'd need to is I have a few queries.

1) The pillars have to be 215mm wide, that's fine. But how long, there's no mention on the draws. I know I've got to double board them to meet building code, so can I just add 50mm on and go 228mm wide (178 rsj + 2x 25mm plaster board each side) I appreciate I'd probably end up going wider as a block wouldn't be that short, but I want to make sure I get enough.

2) secondly there's no mention in my report about what type of padstone I need to install. Any ideas?

3) The wall I'm removing isn't 215 wide, so I'm going to have to build the pillars from scratch, but I'm concerned about what type of block/brick to use and how to tie them into the exsist wall to give them some ridgetidty.

4) Lastly the rsj is drawn to be 3350mm long. However if I take it flash to my party wall, this would only reach approx 100mm onto my hallway wall pillar. Should I just order an extra 115mm longer rsj, or has this been done on purposes? I can think why the rsj wouldn't sit flush to the back of the pillar, rather than in the middle if I share the short fall between the two pillars.

Any and all advice welcome.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    57.5 KB · Views: 495
Sponsored Links
Has that size beam been approved by the council?

That looks like a traditional semi. If so, you can leave the piers 1/2 brick wide and 1 brick long. Padstones are normally 150mm deep and 215mm long and 100mm wide. Or two course of solid blue bricks. If you are rebuilding that pier by the hallway, you can use any brick - the ones you get from the rest of the wall will do

At the party wall, he might have left a pier to avoid chopping into the party wall, and thus needing a party wall notice. You could do away with that pier though and have it flush and the beam sitting 100mm into the party wall if you like. If so use a 330mm long padstone with the beam central.

The council may or may not want all this calculated. If so, you will need to go to another engineer, who can do a proper job for you. Ask the council first.

Don't have that pier against the party wall - it'll mess your room layout up. Do as the guy above suggests and cut it flush, with the padstone at right-angles,
but don't bother with the PWA, unless you want to spend more money than your alterations cost.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back