removing old cast iron pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

currently replacing my bath and have found that under it there is a big old cast iron pipe which has been capped off,

im wondering if its OK to remove this pipe (its going to interfere with the new position of the bath)

it leaves the bathroom through a wall to a cupboard, but there's no sign of it on the other side of the wall, I have no idea what this pipe was used for, but really just checking its not likely to be gas or lead to the sewers

Sponsored Links
how big are you talking? if its about 4" then it'll be an old soil pipe that was probably capped off at some point to stop smells escaping. It may well have then been removed on the other side of the wall after that and the bit you can see now was just left beneath the bath as it couldnt be seen....until now of course.

Hmm I'd guess about 1.5 - 2 inch diameter, but runs in the opposite direction to the current waste pipe, some photos would probably be useful :)

View media item 72557
You can just about see the capped off end, I'll try again when I get the bath out tomorrow

Yes it's disgusting under there :(

Probably an old waste pipe then that was capped to stop stink. you sure its cast iron and not lead or copper? I wouldn't have thought it would be gas at almost 2" in diameter in your bathroom! Can you give it a wiggle. If its cut off the other side of the wall then it may be loose enough to pull out. Although i can understand if you didnt want to touch it!!

Sponsored Links
I did try and give it a tug with some gloves on but it didn't budge, although trying to get to it under the bath was tricky and it's probably attached to the wall and cemented into the wall, I'll try again tomorrow.

Sorry. I've just realised what pipe you're talking about. Didn't see it first time around because of its "camouflage". That does look like an old threaded gas pipe to be honest.

Interesting... it doesn't appear to be connected after my meter (have traced that pipe)

Wonders how to proceed....

I took the plunge and carefully removed the cap.

Turns out to be nothing so it's been removed :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back