Removing old pedestal sink- well siliconed in

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Hope right place for this as I know not exactly a plumbing question as such!

I had serious nightmares a few weeks ago removing an old shower enclosure due to edges being siliconed onto tiles. Well now I could do with removing this sink which is also well siliconed onto tiles into a corner. I don't think it's actually screwed on to wall, just lots of silicone!

I can access above and below the sink ok. Any good suggestions for cutting through the sealant. Is there anything like cutting wire I can buy to "saw" through the silicone.

Any suggestions/experience of this appreciated.
PS not worried about the excess left on tiles, I can deal with that ok, just separating sink without removing the tiles!!

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your reply, but I think slicing through it in some way is needed. I bought screwfix silicone remover recently to use on the remnants from the shower screen and it wasn't very successful. We're talking about silicone squidged right down the sides/back of the sink

Sponsored Links
Cheers

The thought crossed my mind to try and get hold of a fairly flexible bladed bread knife. Might be about the best plan.

Thanks for your reply, but I think slicing through it in some way is needed. I bought screwfix silicone remover recently to use on the remnants from the shower screen and it wasn't very successful. We're talking about silicone squidged right down the sides/back of the sink
If you can use a form of grinding wheel, sharpen a hacksaw blade by removing the teeth and making that edge knife like. And use washing up liquid to keep it lubricated. Grip the blade with a cloth wrapped round it. Or wear gardening gloves.

Thanks for replies. I had wondered if there was some kind of sharp wire I could have used, some sort of cutting wire but I don't think anything exists like what I imagined. In theory it seemed a good idea so as it could be held in such a way as not to scratch the tiles incase any were seen which aren't seen below the basin at the moment

Remove a 12" hacksaw blade from its frame, wrap a cloth around one end and away you go, be through it in seconds ;)

thx again for all the replies

I actually tried a junior hacksaw blade a couple of weeks back on the shower enclosure uprights but it seemed to snag (to my surprise) a bit on the silicone. I have got some good bigger blades so can give them a try, also looked out a flexible fairly thin bladed bread knife I'm hoping works well. Be getting round to this end of the week I think

if you're still thinking of a thin wire, i'd imagine a (steel) guitar string would work. something like a top E :D like the hacksaw blade you'd have to wrap it round something at each end.

i've used a flexible filling knife in this situation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back