removing old plaster and render

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've started on my bathroom and i've got a small problem. whilst removing the old tiles large chunks of the plaster and render have come away leaving the bare wall. i intend to use board and aqua panel through out to make sure that i have a nice finish that i can have tiled.

is there an easy way to remove the old render and plaster?

thanks
Rob

Sponsored Links
you need an sds drill with a hammer action and flat chisel end.

the plaster will come off easily. if it's render then it will be quite difficult and best to leave on if poss.

if not electric hammer chisel then bricklayer’s 4" chisel and lump hammer will do the same but much more agony.

If large chunks of the render and plaster are coming away with the tiles aready, then I don't think it would take much effort to remove the rest. A hammer and a 3 or 4" bolster would be useful, and sometimes,if it's really blown and ready to fall off,a decent garden spade behind it. When it's all off,give the brick/blockwork a good clean. Don't forget your safety goggles etc.

Roughcaster.

just wanted to say thanks for the advise. Got the SDS bit for my drill and it came off with ease. Would you recomend a wire brush to get all the little bits off or is there something else I could use?

Sponsored Links
use a hand chisel for the small bits (1" wide). Don’t forget you don't need to do too much though as the surface does not need to be 100% clear/flat to replaster – just decent.

thanks jerrym.
I'm planning on dot and dabbing the walls and using plaster board, as i'm tiling the bathroom i dont think its worth having it plastered.

do i need to do anything to the walls before i dot and dab?

and using plaster board, as i'm tiling the bathroom i don’t think its worth having it plastered.

agree, i don't plaster the plaster board if i'm tiling. be aware of different views on plaster board in "wet" areas (very contentious subject). some will only use aquaboard (which is top notch but costs). i've not had any problems using plasterboard in bathrooms but i feel there are probably some limitations ie the grouting and seal around shower trays/baths must be spot on. also no good for power showers, wet rooms and non ceramic tiles.

suggest you have a search through previous posts. as your doing a 1 off then cost of aquaboard may not be too bad for piece of mind.

do i need to do anything to the walls before i dot and dab

i never done dot & dab so you will need others to input (i am trained via the old school - i use browning ie plasterboard only on studwork). i would not expect that you would have to do anything to the walls. i don't before doing browning.

the only time i dab & dot is to fix fire backplates (ie marble) to walls and i don't do anything then and their all still fixed.

thanks again for your answers.
I'm planning on using aquapanel around the bath area and the green board for the rest of the bathroom.
I'll get the plaster off the walls and then give them a brush down, then hopefully the boards will stick with no problems.
Rob

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back