removing one of my lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I currently have two lights in my living room controlled by a 3 switch (2 for the living room lights and 1 for the landing lights) I want to remove one of the living room lights and replace the 3 switch with a 2 switch... can anyone help please.

Sponsored Links
Photo please, of the back of the 3 gang switch

You'll need to clearly identify which switch does what.

Can't help otherwise.

PS Turn OFF the POWER BEFORE removing the switch

Or
Describe what the wiring is at the light you wish to remove.
And the wiring at the 3 gang switch. If there are any separate bunches of wires in separate connector blocks, describe this too.

I currently have two lights in my living room controlled by a 3 switch (2 for the living room lights and 1 for the landing lights) I want to remove one of the living room lights and replace the 3 switch with a 2 switch... can anyone help please.

the light you want to remove will either have a permanent Live and Neutral into it from another room and then a Permanent Live and Neutral to the next light in the living room with a switch live and Permanent live down to the switch or a Permanent live and Neutral from the first light and then a Permanent Live and Neutral to another room again with a switch live and permanent live down to the switch...
the fact this light i controlled by it own switch makes this trickier for you...

Sponsored Links
the light you want to remove will either have a permanent Live and Neutral into it from another room and then a Permanent Live and Neutral to the next light in the living room with a switch live and Permanent live down to the switch or a Permanent live and Neutral from the first light and then a Permanent Live and Neutral to another room again with a switch live and permanent live down to the switch...
the fact this light i controlled by it own switch makes this trickier for you...

That is an AMAZING insight. Have you been to his house then, or do you have some magic powers?

This may not be a loop in at light system. It could be loop at the switch, or there could be one of those big brown junction boxes under the landing floor.

Lets wait and see what there really is, the answer will be different for each.

That is an AMAZING insight. Have you been to his house then, or do you have some magic powers?

This may not be a loop in at light system. It could be loop at the switch, or there could be one of those big brown junction boxes under the landing floor.

Lets wait and see what there really is, the answer will be different for each.

Yes to both....

tosser.gif

can anyone help please.
Yes, the Wiki can - the answers are here:

//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:lighting

Once you understand how lighting circuits work, you'll be able to see how yours works, how your switch is wired and what it's doing, and you'll know what to do to make the changes you require.

You shouldn't do the work until you do understand all that - just following electricity-by-numbers instructions without truly understanding what you are doing and why is a very bad idea.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back