Removing Plastic Side Panel to insulate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have a piece of white Plastic panelling on the side of my house between the lower floor and balcony. I have a real draft coming up from the floorboards on the second floor and draft from the spotlights in the ground floor and suspect that there is no insulation behind this plastic trim.

Would really appreciate some help:
1. what on earth is this type of panel called and where can I get a replacement if I mess it up?
2. how do I remove the fixtures that are attaching it so that I can see underneath and check if I need to go to town with some insulation and foam. They are not screws, maybe some sort of nail, again what are they called if I need to replace them

Thanks all,

Jon

IMG_5630.jpg
IMG_5631.jpg
IMG_5632.jpg

Sponsored Links
Looks like UPVC soffit board, used for all sorts.
The nails or screws are poly cap. Generally they are stainless.
There could be some kind of mastic behind.

make sure that you do the insulation correctly. I am not the person to ask, but don’t encourage sweating.

Ok - so you think just be more aggressive with a tool and pull these off? I had a go with a screwdrive but they seemed very stuck. I am gussing that if I put more pressure on it I may very well snap the UPCV.

Thanks for the heads up on the insulation point. The floor boards are very open (hence the draft) so there is good airflow.....frankly too much - hence the issue!

Sponsored Links
Pollytop nails, if you try to pry the facing off you will dislodge the verge trim from the flat roof.
Probably best sealing everything up without trying to pull the facing off.

Hi I generally find that trying to remove the fascia nails will damage board anyway , so just measure the board and buy a new one. To remove nails get two hammers , put the claws of one hooked flush on cap then hit the head with the other hammer , this pushes claws around nailhead and you can remove . They are ringshanked nails. Easy to go in hard to come out

Allow for replacing it, if it is to come off. It's either fascia if it has a lip at the bottom, or flat board if not. Comes in 5m lengths

Pincers are the best thing to pull the nails out, pop the plastic top and then the head will be proud ready to pull.

The top nails will be difficult. A cats paw bar may help, but it may be easier to just spit the fascia with a chisel where the nail is. Then grip the whole nail with some pliers and wiggle it out. The new nails afterwards will need to go lower down below the black capping.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back