Removing radiator in old Mental Hospital permanently

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. I just want to make sure I'm doing things right so I want to ask. How can I remove a radiator without stopping the system? In the right hand side there is a valve with plastic cover connected with wire to a Trv valve. The wheel valve and trv are off and the radiator is cold but I touched the pipe next to the Trv and I felt movement of water. So how can I stop it to remove the radiator?
20170401_135953.jpg
20170401_135902.jpg
20170401_135953.jpg
Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Ask in the plumbing forum - there are some ex- inmates there;)

Ideally you'd remove the TRV head and fit a "decorators cap", which holds the valve closed.
Assuming that you don't have one, make sure that the TRV's minimum setting is really off, not a "frost" position, I.e. 0 not *, and be wary of leaving it unattended for long periods - a friend flooded his house in similar circumstances!
The vibrations you can feel might be coming from some distance away, so I'd cautiously unscrew the valves, drain the radiator and see what happens. If the radiator is cold you'll probably be OK.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back