Removing Ram on Riello Burner

• Thread starter eddiescully
  • Start date
Will need a new oil line from oil pump to ram also NO? or can it be reshaped without kinking it trying to bend it into the new port.

Sponsored Links
If you are VERY careful you can reshape the ram pipe. Just don't make a kink in it :LOL:

Sorry Paffman ! you quite right and i hang my head in shame! the ports was moved! (just goes to show how many rams have been removed)
Please excuse me i am rapidy approching the Big 50 so Senior moments are becomeing more frequent! :oops: :oops: :oops:

Sponsored Links
I agree with boilerman2 remove the ram and get a riello blanking screw and lock the air damper in position thats what i do anyway. Not worth a feck replacing :!:

I agree with boilerman2 remove the ram and get a riello blanking screw and lock the air damper in position thats what i do anyway. Not worth a f**k replacing :!:

Why lock the air damper?

Just remove it a sling it in the bin. You still have the air adjustment slide to adjust the CO2%

Does not really make a difference if ya remove damper or lock damper in position still does the same job yea?. Just handy locking it in position ;)

Why lock the air damper?

Just remove it a sling it in the bin. You still have the air adjustment slide to adjust the CO2%
Later versions of burner have the adjustment under the shutter but earlier ones the shutter IS the adjustment.

Why lock the air damper?

Later versions of burner have the adjustment under the shutter but earlier ones the shutter IS the adjustment.

Hi AlenE,

Just how old do they have to be to have no adjustment under the damper? I've yet to come across one that I could not throw away the ram/damper, but still have the adjustment slide under it.

Thanks for the advice, I like bypassing things.The brass nut on the ram is difficult to remove (surprising considering how much oil is on the inside).I am tempted to crimp the tube rather than blank it off - is this a dumb idea ?

Thanks for the advice, I like bypassing things.The brass nut on the ram is difficult to remove (surprising considering how much oil is on the inside).I am tempted to crimp the tube rather than blank it off - is this a dumb idea ?

Not ideal, but I have seen it done. You must make sure that there are now leaks though.

You are all lazy ba$tids.
It takes less than 5 minutes to change, and I make £17 profit on one.
They generally last 2-3 years at least.

I hope you dont remove parts from gas burners just because you can't be ar$ed to change them!

You are all lazy ba$tids.
It takes less than 5 minutes to change, and I make £17 profit on one.
They generally last 2-3 years at least.

I hope you dont remove parts from gas burners just because you can't be ar$ed to change them!

I think that you will find that this is for a private owner, not a paying customer. What I would do in a customer situation would be a different matter.

Yeah I'm a very private owner.I am , in fact, the son of the Queen.And my Mum really likes plumbing jobs ; she loves rodding sewers especially.

I am quite happy to spend a few quid on a replacement ram , or even a few pence on a blanking plug, but the problem is time .(And as I live deep in rurality it is hassle to drive to my nearest plumbers merchants only to find that they didn't have the part they thought). So if a quick squeeze with a vice will get the heating running again without burning the house down then I am happy.I guess part of the message is to do the work in the summer not the early winter, but there is a lot to do with my tractor then....

Having just read the manual , it does stress that the vent will stop cold air entering the chamber in the off cycle, so improving the efficency.
Hard to measure the saving I suspect , but I decided to blow #22 on ebay for a replacement ram, as I seem to be spending about #1000 a year on oil.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back