Removing roof boiler flue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Is it relatively straightforward for job for a roofer to remove and tile over an unused boiler flue? I presume it won’t be overly expensive assuming scaffolding isn’t needed?

thanks!

Sponsored Links
Yes, I do have spare tiles left over from when I had a re-roof done (only a year or so ago!)

Sponsored Links
It will tend to require a new section of felt across at least two, maybe three rafters. Maybe new battens too in that area, and not just pieces.

Scaffolding, or at least a tower should be should used - as a client you should not be expecting roofers to work on a roof off a ladder - it's your fault if there is an accident.
But if they do, if the flue is up the roof it will be easier than if the flue is by the eaves where they wont have anywhere to stand.

And as always, there is the issue of whether the flue or bitumen felt (or artificial slate) contains asbestos.

It will tend to require a new section of felt across at least two, maybe three rafters. Maybe new battens too in that area, and not just pieces.

Scaffolding, or at least a tower should be should used - as a client you should not be expecting roofers to work on a roof off a ladder - it's your fault if there is an accident.
But if they do, if the flue is up the roof it will be easier than if the flue is by the eaves where they wont have anywhere to stand.

And as always, there is the issue of whether the flue or bitumen felt (or artificial slate) contains asbestos.

Sounds like you’re a roofer, so how much would you charge for putting down new section of felt using scaffolding? Assuming tiles supplied, and no additional batons are needed and no asbestos issue...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back