removing tile adhesive before laminate flooring...issues

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Hi all.

I am putting down 12mm floating laminate floor right throughout downstairs with the hope to flow the laminate through doorways without a transition strip for a really slick look at the end (same level subfloor important).

It is a concrete subfloor. Most of the floor is really nice and level but there is a section of tiling I just pulled up that has naturally left tile adhesive behind on the subfloor, see pictures.

Is there an easy way or trick to getting tile adhesive up off the subfloor? I know many would probably lean towards self levelling compound but Id rather not raise the level of the floor in that area as I would either need to have a transition level change somewhere or pour SLC everywhere....neither of which i particularly want.

help o_O

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    88.9 KB · Views: 224
  • IMG_0630.jpg
    IMG_0630.jpg
    344.9 KB · Views: 201
  • IMG_0631.jpg
    IMG_0631.jpg
    283.9 KB · Views: 220
  • IMG_0632.jpg
    IMG_0632.jpg
    439.3 KB · Views: 204
Sponsored Links
swilli88, good evening.

Suggest you use the "Search" function situated at the top right of this page.

There are a large volume of similar questions as regards your issue.

Just type in removal of floor tile adhesive [or similar]

Ken.

I'm literally doing the same myself. I purchased a cheap SDS rotary hammer drill and a specific tile lifting chisel from a well known retailer. With a bit of perseverance it removes the old adhesive very well.
Be prepared for a lot of dust! I butchered an old flexi tub by cutting an opening on one edge and put a hole in the top for the henry vac hose to attach into, turn it upside down and jobs a good 'un. Seems to reduce the dust quite a lot and keeps the area tidy ish!

Sponsored Links
If you fit without threshold joins the floor cannot expand causing problems.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back