Removing tough deck screws

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a bunch of rusting square drive #7 x 3" deck screws in the railings and ballisters of my deck. I removed some of them with my impact driver, but many of them won't come out. I've tried to remove them with screw outs, but the burnishing bit won't penetrate. I've also tried many different drill bits (titanium, cobalt, carbide tipped) to tap them, but they work for about 3 seconds before they're too dull and don't work anymore. I was thinking of using a carbide burr to remove the heads, but I don't have a die grinder to use it with. I was able to use a reinforced cutting wheel in a dremel to create a slot, but they still wouldn't turn out.

I want to save the wood because I'm just replacing the screws with stainless steel ones.

Any ideas of what I can do to get the screws out?

Sponsored Links
you have pretty much covered the options
i am assuming you want to replace the screws and leave the structure un touched
if you want to separate the components then you could try a plug cutter but you may struggle to get one to cut that deep and you also have the problem off having to cut bigger plugs to fill the holes

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back