Removing waterproof sealant - silicone

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HELP!!! I really am running out of ideas now. We had to move our bath, turned it right around, so now the bit that was up against the wall is now not. However, the original sealant is still on the bath and I cannot get it off. Anyone with any ideas?

Sponsored Links
heeelllooo hayze and welcome

what is your bath made from!!!!!!!!

If the bath is enamel or steel, you will be able to slice it off with a razor blade or it may even peel off if you rub it with your finger. It will remove quite easy from a hard surface if it acrylic then try as prev post.

Sponsored Links
I'm afraid it's acrylic. I've noticed that B&Q have a sealant remover, has anyone ever tried it?

Hayze said:
I've noticed that B&Q have a sealant remover, has anyone ever tried it?
I have done one for the first time last week and I wasn't that impress specially when it cost £7 :cry: Unless they are better quality one out there, see what the others think.

works fairly well on relatively new silicone pretty **** on old hardened stuff

I tried it out on some new silicone and it wasn't too hot on that either. I used the Unibond brand.

Smells a bit like petrol or similar, appears to be an oily chemical that breaks down the silicone (although it referred to "digesting" it). Then you spend bl**dy ages trying to clean the residue off whatever, because obviously you don't want to try sticking sililcone to something that dissolves it. And it doesn't clean off easily.

Saying that, it might work better for you.

Be glad that you used good silicone the first time, instead of rubbish stuff that would have just peeled off!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back