Renault Trafic 2003 Diesel gear change

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys

Looking for a heads up on a problem that seems to be developing on my Van

Getting into gear is quite hard , it's generally just feels stiff , it doesn't grate the Gears on anything , I've pulled off the Gaiter around the Gear stick all looks fine , so I gave it a good spraying with WD40 , it goes into 1st reasonably ok , but 2nd , 3rd and 4 th are hard to get into , I didn't try 5th or 6th due to just being around Town

The Clutch & Slave Cylinder were replace maybe 10k ago

Any ideas please

Cheers

Phil

Sponsored Links
What's the selection like with the engine off, Phil? It should be dead sweet. Has this van got two cables at the gearstick end?
John :)

Hi John

I appreciate your response again !

It goes into Gear easily when the Engines Switched off here's s pic of under the Gaiter , I can see a Cable on the RHS and maybe one at the bottom of the pic

Attachments

• IMG_0522.JPG
    IMG_0522.JPG
    230.6 KB · Views: 309
  • IMG_0523.JPG
    IMG_0523.JPG
    300.8 KB · Views: 332
Yep, all looks wholesome there.
If gear selection is OK with the engine off then its usually a clutch problem, I'm afraid. If its hydraulic, there's a chance it needs bleeding, especially if you feel the pedal is descending quite a way before you feel the pressure from the clutch itself.

Sponsored Links
Hi John

Clutch pedal seems as it always has , I checked the fluid an all seems fine , unsure of where any bleed point is , I think the slave cylinder is actually inside the Bell Housing ?

Thanks for replying

Phil

Yep, the slave cylinder is inside the bell housing - very common indeed these days. However, there should be a bleed nipple before the fluid pipe enters the bell housing.
The only way to bleed these successfully is to use a Gunsons Easybleed system or similar......where the brake master cylinder is pressurised by air. Of course I don't know if this is the fault, but it's the first thing a garage would check before delving deeper.

Quick update , I pulled up the Gear box shroud and gave the Cables a good dousing in WD40 , it seemed to help a little , to the point where I nearly cancelled the App I had at the Garage , yesterday it was quite free , but as the Day wore on it got tighter , so it was into the Garage

Mechanic said odds on it was the Cables ,the Van is 14 years old and it's the original Cables to my knowledge, though he'd bleed it 1st , anyway we've got a new set of Cables in it now ..... and as usual it's like driving a different Van !

Once again John , I appreciate your input ✔️. Cheers

All the best for Xmas to you and yours.

Phil

Sponsored Links
Back