Another Mondeo problem - gear changing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've posted before about problems with our Mondeo - it's a 2005 TDCi estate, think it's got about 85000 miles on.

We had to get the dual mass flywheel replaced a while ago, and since around the time that was done (but not 100% sure it was exactly after that), I've been finding it much harder to change down to the lower gears. It's fine when starting off, but when I'm driving and have to slow down or stop, it's stiff when changing down to 2nd and sometimes almost impossible to get into 1st gear. However if I come to a stop, then it's usually OK afterwards (especially if I let the clutch up and then down again). Changing up, or changing down to higher gears, is fine though.

It's driving me crazy as I usually pride myself on nice smooth gear changes but now can't do them, also it does sometimes just make it very hard to drive and I wonder if it isn't a bit of a safety issue too, sometimes when it really won't go into first and I can't move off again till it does.

We've been back to the garage that did the work a couple of times about this, but each time so far they've just said it needed lubricating and should be fine now - but there was usually little or no improvement and if it helped at all it was only in the short term. Generally we have got on well with them for other things, so I've been a bit surprised about that.

Any ideas please about what might be causing this and how to fix it?
Thank you!

Sponsored Links
There's nothing to lubricate as such so I don't know what they've done each time.

The only thing you can do without having it all apart again is bleed the clutch and check/replace the master cylinder. Is there any fluid leaking under the gearbox? If so this could be the sign of a leaking slave cylinder, which is a box out job.

Was the clutch replaced at the same time as the DMF? This is recommended if you're having it all apart, as the labour to do them separately is relatively steep.

Thanks for replying!

Yes, the clutch was replaced at the same time.

We haven't noticed any leaking, though haven't specifically looked for it either (not sure whether the garage did).

Is the clutch disengaging properly? Does it 'crunch' if you put it in reverse gear?

Peter

Sponsored Links
Reverse gear is fine, no crunching. It really is just changing down to second (to an extent) and especially going down to first from a higher gear. Sometimes it just won't go in at all, other times it will but only when shoved really hard.

It doesn't make any noise... it almost feels more like a problem with the lever than the gears themselves, from a physical point of view, like it just doesn't want to go into the slot. But if it was that, presumably it would always be difficult to get into 1st, not just when changing down whilst moving.

Assuming that the gearbox has oil in it I can only assume that the linkage needs adjusting. Can you find out what it was that they lubricated?

Peter

You shouldn't want to go into first whilst moving, it'll just wear the synchromesh out. I know people do it, but it takes a lot of effort on the part of the gearbox components to spin the input shaft up to the required speed.

Reverse won't crunch if you have the MTX75 gearbox, as they have synchromesh on reverse. The other FWD box Ford do is the IB5, but that's usually on smaller engines (it could be that if you have a 1.6, but I'd have to check).

Thanks for the further replies!

When I say "while moving" I mean things like when the lights have gone green but there's a queue of cars - so you have to slow up too much to stay in 2nd but then pull off again before you've totally parked up...

It's a 2 litre, forgot to say that before!

I didn't know it had synchro on reverse so the cruch test doesn't help, how far does the clutch pedal go down before it disengages?

Peter

Mm I think the bite point's more or less in the middle.

Mmm, does it go into and out of gear OK when stationary, with/without the engine running?

Peter

Yes it's fine when stationary, if I've only just stopped though I might have to wait a moment or let the clutch up and back down before being able to go into 1st smoothly. But on startup or with the engine off it's fine, and fine when changing up the gears, or down between higher gears.

I could call the garage on Monday perhaps and find out what they lubricated (not that it helped).

Will take a look at the other forums too, thanks!

Sponsored Links
Back