Renovating staircase - finishing touches?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So i spent the bank holiday fitting an Axxys Clearview stair kit (oak newel posts, handrail, baserail and glass rackes). I also intend to cover the tread/risers with an Oak StairKlad kit to complete the look.

I have a couple of questions for the pros if you dont mind:

- I was planing on varnishing the newels, handrails & baserails with clear satin varnish as i have done with my oak doors. However, the Stairklad panels state they're pre-finished with Osmo oil. Would you suggest using this instead. Personally i think i prefer the varnish finish but would like the tread/risers to blend nicely with the rest of the stairs.

- I had to bore/counter sink a few hole in the newels to fasten them to the stringer. I have some real oak caps/covers but they're the raised button type. I would prefer a discreet flat cover which blends into the newel. Do you guys cut your own (if so how) or can you purchase these from somewhere?

- I have a few gaps where i have cut the newels. i would like to fill these before varnishing. What oak coloured filler do you recommend? Preferably one i can load into a caulk gun?

Any help appreciated.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
yeah I would keep them the same, just beware that some of the osmo oils are slightly pigmented. shouldn't be too much of a problem with oak, but just be aware. That's with the caveat that the oak is similar in appearance.
What size did you counter-bore with. you can buy oak pellets off the shelf they will glue in nicely to a 12mm hole, or else you can buy various sizes of plug cutter.
As for filler, there are so many to choose from, its really just a matter of finding one that matches

Cheers Chappers
I went with clear satin varnish in the end. I tried some osmo oil on an off cut from the newel post but didnt like the end results.
Also, the timber supplier i got the osmo oil from also supplied Chrome Axxy cap/covers so i ended up using these rather than oak pellets or attempting to cut my own.
I also picked up a few oak colour sealants which ive yet to try out but am sure one of them will match ok ;)

Sponsored Links
Nice one, glad it went well, always nice to hear the results. good luck finding a match with the filler

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back