rent house out to dhss

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
how do i rent a house out to DHSS for shorterm 6 month lease?
nothing on the website.

Sponsored Links
how do i rent a house out to DHSS for shorterm 6 month lease?
nothing on the website.
Advertise your property saying that it is for rent and DHSS claiments are welcome, get your tenant first explain your rental terms and rent required, the potential claiment puts it to the DHSS and they will send round a fair rents officer to assess the rent, if the rent is right you will get the ok, thats what i did when I rented a property out.

Flippin `eck Malc not only are you a Black Rights activist - you are a social landlord too :eek: Fair Play to you ;)

Sponsored Links
i was under the impression that the goverment paid the rent for DHSS tennants - i was thinking of garanteed money...or do the DHSS pay the money to the individual and they pay me? the property is in an ok state but needs modernising. i have not got the time to do it until march 2011 so was thinking that this way i could at least earn some money off it.

thanks

they pay it to you but when they get caught on the fiddle the rent gets stoped. then you have the trouble of getting them out, plus the place will be trashed.

Don't do it. Your poor neighbours will never forgive you and you house will be wrecked.

Get a professional couple in or something and charge slightly less rent.

If there's gas in the house you'll need a landlords safety certificate for that before you put tenants in.
If there are gas appliances that haven't been looked at for donkeys years the gas fella will want to service them at least before saying they're safe,
all costs money.

I agree with some of the previous posts that you're better off avoiding DSS tenants if you possibly can.
The DSS no longer pay rent to the landlords direct but give the money to the tenant who then pays you (yeah, good luck with that!!!).
No, seriously, to be fair, not all DSS tenants are bad, I'm sure there are a lot of decent people who have just fallen on hard times for one reason or another.
However, personally, I wouldn't take the risk and would rather rent it out privately. Although the condition of the house will be reflected in the amount of rent you can get, it's still better than leaving the house empty, especially during the winter, without getting a penny from it :D

1. No such thing as DHSS
2. Rent is paid by the Local Authority not the DWP, the money belongs to DWP but the LA administer it.
3. Rent is normally paid to the tenant unless they ask for it to go direct to the landlord.
4. People in receipt of benefits are not automatically scum, they are just unlucky.

If taking on people in receipt of benefits, insist on a contact for their previous address to see how they paid there rent there.

1. No such thing as DHSS
2. Rent is paid by the Local Authority not the DWP, the money belongs to DWP but the LA administer it.
3. Rent is normally paid to the tenant unless they ask for it to go direct to the landlord.
4. People in receipt of benefits are not automatically scum, they are just unlucky.

If taking on people in receipt of benefits, insist on a contact for their previous address to see how they paid there rent there.

Agree and disagree with 4. They are not automatically scum... doesn't mean they automatically have just fallen on hard times either though

I have for many years been letting out property for other people and for myself and you do need luck. Skill in assessing tenants is an art that even letting agents have little of.
You can only go on gut instinct and trust to luck.
Some private tenants know how to play the field and mess you about just as DHSS tenants do.
I have found very little difference.
As far as messing up the community is concerned. I have found the locals an intolerant lot. Because they think the new people just don't fit in.
These people have lived on estates most of their lives in peace and tranquillity.
Then along comes a new neighbour who wants her children to play in the garden.
They don't like it. But what ****s they are to expect real peace and quiet on an estate of all places.

My prime aim has always to be diplomatic and friendly to the tenant.
Do not argue with them. Make sure you have all the bases covered in the tenancy agreement. This is the essence of the let.

Private tenants pay a deposit which must be lodged with an independant holder. It should not cost anything because they invest it and the interest pays the cost.

DHSS peoples deposit is covered by a Bond and it means that if you are not happy about damage the bond will pay for it. The DHSS then claim on the tenant. This is a black mark on the tenant if they want to move else where or even rent through an agent.
Either way the deposit is secured.

DHSS the rent is guaranteed this may not be the case with private let.

The rent on an average place is quite substantial via the DHSS because they have set limits which are not bad and sometimes quite surprising.
Ask them to provide you with a list of letting prices.

Make sure you are not trying to dump inferior white goods on the tenant and be prepared for replacing or repairing any of them.

You will need a landlords cert for gas and a portable tools test on all the necessary electrical equipment.

See the Direct insurance site to cover you for repairs if you cannot handle it yourself.

Some times you have to bite your tongue, other times have to eat humble pie but always get things fixed as soon as possible.
Other wise they'll make you eat shyte.

I have been very successful with my tenants and they have always offered me a cup of tea when I have visited them.

House letting is all about how lucky you are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back