Rented Accomodation, Regs Under 17th Edition

S

sjwkmje

Hi All,

I have been out of the game for a while now went more into electronics so the last time I did anything was under 16th edition.

I was asked to undertake some work in a house that would be rented out and have 4 occupants living there. I refused the work as I am not part p registered.

What I want to know is the installation has no RCD, its just has a CU with MCBs. Because I refused the work the landlord took it upon him self to fit the shower him self. He used 10mm. All good but no part p was not undertaken and I don't like the look of the work. So we have work in a bathroom and its now 17th edition so there is requirement for a RCD to be fitted, this could be done by just fitting an RCBO for the shower and lighting circuit. The house wiring is old with lots of DIY add ons and JBs everywhere.

Now the occupants are a little concerned as I was not happy with the work (no sleaving on the CPCs etc) and I don't know what to tell them. Should I tell them to ask for a copy of the PIR and MWC knowing that if there is one supplied it should show multiple failures the shower been one and some other things I found while looking around. Is there any requirements legally for rented accomodation for electrical work carried out? What about if one is supplied and shows nothing wrong even tho I highlighted problems?

Should there be a PIR carried out before the house is rented out or a regular inspection?

I have never had to deal with anything like this before so would like your advice.

As the house is rented is there any other requirements such as emergency self maintained lighting?

Adam

Sponsored Links
I will not pretend to know all the regulations but I have noted rented accommodation seems to be one of the few places where PIR's are completed and any shower will need RCD protection so the land lord is really taking a chance and is asking to end up in court.
As to RCBO there only seems two places you can't use them thats caravans and boats both which need all live conductors to be switched and RCBO only normally switch the line and leave neutral connected.
The PIR should be done every 10 years or change of occupants so yes needs doing but no Part P is required to do a PIR and it has to be given to person ordering the work i.e. Land Lord so tenants rarely see it.
But with freedom of information act they can ask council to view Part P completion certs for any work done.
No PIR will show clean bill of health there is always something wrong and only cat 1 & 2 are really anything to worry about and missing sleeve and RCD will normally come under 3 and 4 so no one seems to worry.
I would think a visit to an estate agent may help as to if smoke alarms etc required. Or fire service they are normally helpful.

as it currently stands there is no requirement for an electrical cert for rented property. Though i would always advise that one is carried out.

Sponsored Links
Houses in multiple occupation (HMO)

For council licencing they need to 'meet' the regulatory standard at time of licence and PAT testing of supplied appliances is required.

Smoke detection, fire cert and in some cases emergency lighting is also necessary.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back