Renting a sbs chipping hammer drill from hss

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey I'm thninking of renting a chipping hammer drill from HSS to chase into a brick wall. When I rent the drill will it come with the chiseal bit that goes in to the drill?

Sponsored Links
Thanks I reserved it this morning for a job tomorro. Have you rented similar things from HSS before and got the chiseal bit with the drill?

Thanks I reserved it this morning for a job tomorro. Have you rented similar things from HSS before and got the chiseal bit with the drill?

I have hired a demolition drill from a local hire shop and it came with a pair of bits, with option of getting extras. It would be very illogical for them to hire out a drill without any bits. But it would probably be safer for you to call them and ask. Otherwise it might waste you time on the day.

Sponsored Links
SDS breakers are great for demolition but you need to be careful using them to chase existing plaster/block walls. You can do a fair bit of damage loosening the surrounding plaster if it’s of any age & even loosen the mortar joints in the block work below if you’re too “gung ho”. If you have an angle grinder I would advise you make a vertical cut either side of the chase to prevent vibration loosening the adjacent plaster. Personally I still prefer to use a bolster/cold chisels & club hammer, takes slightly longer but causes far less damage. ;)

SDS breakers are great for demolition but you need to be careful using them to chase existing plaster/block walls. You can do a fair bit of damage loosening the surrounding plaster if it’s of any age & even loosen the mortar joints in the block work below if you’re too “gung ho”. If you have an angle grinder I would advise you make a vertical cut either side of the chase to prevent vibration loosening the adjacent plaster. Personally I still prefer to use a bolster/cold chisels & club hammer, takes slightly longer but doesn’t cause any damage.
Great answer Rich but surely you mean "causes less damage". :p :LOL:

SDS breakers are great for demolition but you need to be careful using them to chase existing plaster/block walls. You can do a fair bit of damage loosening the surrounding plaster if it’s of any age & even loosen the mortar joints in the block work below if you’re too “gung ho”. If you have an angle grinder I would advise you make a vertical cut either side of the chase to prevent vibration loosening the adjacent plaster. Personally I still prefer to use a bolster/cold chisels & club hammer, takes slightly longer but doesn’t cause any damage.
Great answer Rich but surely you mean "causes less damage". :p :LOL:
I stand corrected :LOL:

It'll probably be 110V so you'll maybe need a transformer too.
They might charge you for chisel sharpening afterwards so be prepared to haggle.

where do you hire stuff - an Eastern Market :rolleyes: they might knock a bit off if they haven`t pat tested it before they let you have it - and a bit more for 240v instead of 110 . You`d get it *Dead* cheap - and so would you be :mrgreen:

When I looked into this a couple of years ago it was cheaper to buy Srewfix' entry SDS drill for about £20, came witha chisela dn a couple of drill bits.

Did the job I wanted to do and has been used occasionally since.

When I looked into this a couple of years ago it was cheaper to buy Srewfix' entry SDS drill for about £20, came witha chisela dn a couple of drill bits.

Quite agree, for a DIYer an entry level SDS drill (Screwfix or Machine Mart) but the cheapest is probably nearer £50 now. Just ensure it's got a rotary stop function.

For a demolition hammer it's probably better renting 'cos the cheapest is possibly over £200, maybe nearer £300.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back