Repair or replace Worcester Bosch 28i junior.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

Some advice please, I have the Worcester Bosch 28i junior.(old one not the Greenstar) boiler (I think about 8/9 years old), it has been making serious noises when firing up the central heating (HW is fine), had the system flushed and pump changed. No luck.

The plumbers think it could be the Heat Exchange (quote £400 to replace) or I should get a new one (they recommend a WB 30 cdi) however the total is about £2k.

Am I throwing good money after bad if I replace the Heat Exchange or bite the bullet and get a nice more efficient boiler,

Thanks in advance

KT

Sponsored Links
Get yourself another installer..heat exchangers are around £200, but I've never had to change one yet.

Only real issues so far are pcbs...if your hasn't had one yet it will do soon since there's a design fault with the fan switching.

You'll save 10 to 15% on your gas bill by having a new condensing boiler but you must offset that by the repairs and yearly servicing.

I'd stick with the boiler you have...it's very simple and parts are relatively cheap. Have you considered a fixed price from Worcester?

Worcester exclude heat exchanger in fixed price offer on non condensing boilers.

Sponsored Links
Worcester exclude heat exchanger in fixed price offer on non condensing boilers.

thats wrong advice pal and its all in for £250 including the heat exch

You may be right boilerdoktor, but it seems any time there's the slightest misrepresentaion of Worcester you react like someone who's found a stranger in bed with his wife.

They're a boiler manufacturer and you're just another customer. Unless of course you're Cecil in disguise.

i come on here to give good advice to custards and engineers alike. i may not always be right. if i see sthg thats wrong i will say...is that wrong? and my name is david! :D i know i am a custard of theirs. has free speech been outlawed on here, only i didn't get the memo ! :D

Your advice is no doubt welcome, as is your freedom to express it. I was merely observing that you seem unable to detach yourself emotionally whenever Worcester is involved.

Your advice is no doubt welcome, as is your freedom to express it. I was merely observing that you seem unable to detach yourself emotionally whenever Worcester is involved.

fair point, i fit over 100 a yr of their boilers and have many on contract including the oldies. i get frustrated on here when the boilers that are my living are slagged off and misrepresented. i'm sorry if i sound biased but i am. i fitted 7 vaillant last yr at the customers behest.

the op needs to know his choices, he was informed that wb don t cover heat exch's. they do so i told him so

i take your point entirely. if i went to his house i would be fitting his new heat exch. but this is an internet forum. i live in the NW and he could live in Devon, so i only offer advice. i dont come on here to get jobs.

Worcester unequivocally told my customer a month ago that their 2006 19/24 CBi heat exchanger was not covered in their one fix one fee deal.

But just in case I rang and was told the same thing.

They said that only the Greenstar range of boilers with the 10yr HEX warranty were the only one included for heat exchanger replacement under the one fee umbrella.

Is this not the case? This iJunior is 2003 were are talking about so is not a Greenstar.

I guess the proof is in the ringing up. Sorry if I mislead anyone.

Recently had a customer with an old CDi. On the fixed price deal they chucked £400 of parts at it..basically renewed the whole bottom end inc the plate and vessel. Perhaps it's also down to the Worc eng. when he turns up. Don't know why a hex shouldn't be included...they're no more expensive than a pump or pcb.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back