Repair or Replace - Worcester CDI

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good Evening

I moved into my current house in late 2018 and the boiler (Worcester 27 CDI - Manufactured December 2009) was already in situ. It's had a few odd jobs done to it over the years and was serviced in July 2020. It's currently got a few problems such as leak from the condensate pipe (it looks a bit rusty on the underneath), ignition is noisy, and currently hot water is iffy in that the display will show 99 on the display and then it will shut down and run cold before firing up again. Heating works fine.

As the weather is getting worse I'm wondering if it is worth getting these issues repaired or just go all out and get something new? I think the average life span is 10-15 years so it's done well but really don't want to chuck money down the drain if it is likely to end up needing replacing next year.

Thanks

Garry

Sponsored Links
As it's approaching the end of its expected life span it's questionable if it's worth spending money on now to put it in good order. I personally would invest in a new boiler.

I suppose it depends on what you can afford. However sometimes it’s better to replace. Alternate option might be to call Worcester for a fixed price repair.

Thanks for your responses. I'm going to look at the replacement option.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Should be plenty of life left in that yet. The "average life span of 10-15 years" thing is a myth perpetuated by the boiler replacement industry. Don't fall for it

Get a trustworthy engineer in to give it a once over. If those are only issues you are seeing then they aren't serious enough to warrant replacing the boiler IMO. Wouldn't take a huge investment to sort that stuff out and you may then get plenty more years out of the box, I wouldn't make that the defining factor in deciding to replace it.

If you want the piece of mind of a new boiler with it's warranty etc and you have the budget, then that's another story.

Reactions: CBW
Thanks all, this gave me a bit to think about. Since my last post, I've got an engineer popping round this week for a repair. I did lean towards the replacement option as we had the money there but it would have meant my wife wanted a new kitchen out of it so this is the easier option all round :)

Reactions: CBW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back