Repair To Cast Iron Soil Pipe (Picture Inside)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Whilst lifting our old paving, we have damaged the external cast iron soil pipe where it meets the ground resulting in a hole.

What's the best way of fixing this without replacing the entire pipe and joint in the ground?

Sponsored Links
unfortunately u need to replace the fitting below ground !that would be the easiest ! unless someone can offer u a better idea ? cutting the cast will be hard to do.If you decide to cut the cast you gunna need summut to get you internal of the the drain below ground as the collar has broke by the look of it (not a major worry)then you need to make up the difference in height,tricky one as you'll have fixed points. good luck just a tricky job.

Hmmm, not left a lot of the clay pipe to work with. May be able to 'bodge' a joint, wrap some Denso tape (filthy stuff, wear gloves and throw away when finished), around the gap to seal it up. Then haunch round with concrete to give it some strength and protect it.

Alternative (cast seems intact) is to carefully remove the clay bend, and replace it, using a couple of 'Fernco' couplings to make the joint. You'll need an angle grinder though to cut the collar off the pipe after the bend.

Sponsored Links
As far as I can see the problem is that the socket of the clay bend has been broken off.

As suggested my preference is to bridge the gap and then add cement to finish it off.

A proper repair is rather more involved and would take a professional about half a day.

Tony

Whilst lifting our old paving, we have damaged the external cast iron soil pipe where it meets the ground resulting in a hole.

What's the best way of fixing this without replacing the entire pipe and joint in the ground?

That is not a cast iron u bend , Agile gave good advice.

As far as I can see the problem is that the socket of the clay bend has been broken off.

As suggested my preference is to bridge the gap and then add cement to finish it off.

A proper repair is rather more involved and would take a professional about half a day.

Tony
What would you suggest to bridge the gap with?

It could be quite simple if you clean the collar up with an angle grinder.

Fernco Coupling is what you need.

http://www.fernco.com/[/QUOTE]
Only problem with a coupling is that there isn't sufficient space to slide it between the cast downpipe and clay bend. Then again I could just grind more of the bend off (or cast iron) and get it in. That could be a great fix!

Yo have to cut the collar off the glazed pipe so you should end up with a 50mm ish gap.

If you clean the cast up and add some grease, the fitting will easily slide over the cast iron pipe then slide back down over the glazed pipe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back