Repair to shower circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Been a bit of an idiot this weekend and drilled through the power supply for my electric shower in the loft.

Electrician came out this morning to repair, junction box fitted to join where the break was. I wanted to ask what people think of this repair?

I know replacing the whole cable is the ideal solution but that would have been almost impossible and would have been a lot of time and money to do.

These are the photos, it's on a 32a circuit breaker:

junc1.jpg

junc2.jpg

Sponsored Links
Looks like he or she has done the best they can with limited space and probably no slack cable.

Would be nice to have the jb fixed, and the cable clipped but in reality I can't see it causing any issue.

Those JBs do not have any strain relief for cables, and the cable sheath should be fully inside the JB itself.
It would be much better if the JB was moved across an inch (nearer the wall) and screwed to the joist. You could do that, simples.

That's easy to say from the comfort of a keyboard as loft environments are not an electrician's favourite territory!

Sponsored Links
Those JBs do not have any strain relief for cables, and the cable sheath should be fully inside the JB itself.
It would be much better if the JB was moved across an inch (nearer the wall) and screwed to the joist. You could do that, simples.
There is very little slack in the cable but I will see if it can be moved over slightly. If not, a bit of no more nails to stop it moving might help?

It is in a very awkward position in the loft, and the cable running into the wall has no movement whatsoever so I imagine was a real nightmare to strip back well.

It would be much better if the JB was moved across an inch (nearer the wall) and screwed to the joist. You could do that, simples. ... That's easy to say from the comfort of a keyboard as loft environments are not an electrician's favourite territory!
If both cables could be clipped (and I'm not convinced about the left-hand one), that would clearly be the ideal. However, from the point of view of 'strain relief', it can be argued that to fix the JB, but not the cables, is "the worst of all worlds' - at least with neither fixed tugs on the cable would tend to move the JB, whereas if the JB (but not cable) is fixed, any 'tugs' inevitably are trying to pull conductors out of terminals.

In the OP's case, the chances of any 'strain' are, presumably, so slim that it's probably all a bit hypothetical/moot (if the cables could be moved, a better repair would probably have been possible!).

Kind Regards, John

In the OP's case, the chances of any 'strain' are, presumably, so slim that it's probably all a bit hypothetical/moot (if the cables could be moved, a better repair would probably have been possible!).
You're right about that, there is virtually no movement in either cable, the only way to tug on that cable (either side) is to grab the bits in the photo.

So, it's best not to attach the junction box at all? Just let it all move freely, it's impossible for it to move from that joist anyway.

I was being picky in my comments, but you did ask!

Practically, where it is, there's very little problem. We have all seen much, much worse JBs in lofts than that!

So, it's best not to attach the junction box at all? Just let it all move freely, it's impossible for it to move from that joist anyway.
Others may well disagree (TTC?) but, as I said, my personal view is that if the cables cannot both be clipped, logic suggests that it is probably 'safer' not to fix the JB. Furthermore, as I said, in your case nothing is going to move anyway, so I really don't think there is any issue.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back