Repair veneered vanity unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, I'm pretty good with woodwork, but struggling to think of a good fix for this unit where all that's wrong is the veneer coming off the bottom of the top drawer front.

Any suggestions please on a fix? The veneered panel is screwed to the drawer carcass so easily removed or replaced.

Thanks, Tony

Attachments

• 20210223_175421.jpg
    20210223_175421.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 151
Sponsored Links
The only things I can think of are to

(i) rout a small rebate, say 5 x 5mm, carefully glue in a piece of hardwood lipping of the same species and then scrape flush to the original surface

(ii) remove a strip of veneer (10mm wide?) from the bottom.edge of the drawer (cutting gauge to score the veneer, thin knife and scrapers to remove the veneer) and reveneer the strip (I suggest using and iron on veneer film to attach the veneer strip) finishing by scraping and light sanding, or

(iii) take the drawer front off, remove all the ironmongery, then take it to a joinery shop which has a wide belt sander and get them to sand the entire surface veneer off - the whole surface is then reveneered

Note that modern veneers are very thin and delicate and that for any repair to be successful the drawer front lippings will need to be carefully removed before the repair is done, and replaced afterwards. Maybe easier said than done

Last edited by a moderator:
Take the drawer fronts off, buy some furniture wooden boards and make your own using the old one as a template.
Then scratch the side with 60 grit sandpaper and veneer that with 3.5mm plywood.
Stain and varnish to your liking.
Then admire your new unit.
Or, if you feel like it, dismantle the unit and use each visible panel as a template to make it in solid wood.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Johnny, another great suggestion. My DIY skills don't stretch to removing the unit, but the rest of it is possible:)

is it not just horrible cheap laminate with paper printed chipboard ???
it has plastic end trims on the drawers ???

is it not just horrible cheap laminate with paper printed chipboard ???
it has plastic end trims on the drawers ???
It's made by Roca, not the most expensive unit agreed, but functions well otherwise. Yes, the revealed wood is chipboard

wasnt being derogatory towards the quality :D
its just the action needed is quite different (y)

Yeah, that was another option I'd discussed with my wife. Given the drawer fronts have already absorbed water, and that they are easily removed, I think we'll furnish our own new drawers from ply or similar

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back