Repairing an expoased solid brich Victorian arch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How do you go about repairing the missing bricks of an arch of this kind? Lots of bricks are missing and broken in half,ie. the ones which jutted out of the wall to make the shape. The inner arch is actually recessed by a one brick. But do you usually have to make a support for the when doing the arch?

Sponsored Links
Sorry I thought I added one, I put it in the album. How do I send a link to it?

Click on 'Post Reply', below.
Then click on 'Img' button above,
Then click on 'Show my images' below.
Then click on the images that you want to show.

Put the images one below the other it's easier to read than side by side.

Sponsored Links
GALLERY]

This work? Thx

You need to make a timber arch centre and prop it up under the arch, which will give you a base to build on.

Thx, but then what about the bricks which have been chopped in half ie. still have half in the wall, but need another half fixed on to make look as if 90º to the angle of the main wall (if this makes sense!) I imagined having to use lots of ties? I can't literally replace these bricks as that's the full depth of the wall!

Thx

Lump hammer and bolster and chisel them out - replace with new. Unless you are saying that wall is only half brick thick:-
I can't literally replace these bricks as that's the full depth of the wall!
So you would end up knocking through to next door (to what I presume is the living room)?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back