Repairing broken fence?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Novice DIYer, so please be kind...

I have a short 3 panel fence which needs replacing. It's fixed at either end to full height brick, with two wooden posts fixed to the neighbouring (low brick) wall in the middle. Only one of the middle posts needs replacing and I planned to pull it off the fixings (it's bolted to the wall with two bolts), and replace with a new post by just slotting it on to the old fixings and tightening the bolts again...

However, when I removed the post, only the top bolt is still sound; Can I still slot the new post onto the good screw and bolt and use some other sort of fixing to keep it sturdy at the bottom? Or can I use a wall bracket of some sort? Was planning to replace with 6ft panels.... any suggestions very welcome, attached pic might make more sense! Thanks in advance for your help!

Attachments

• Fence.JPG
    Fence.JPG
    114.1 KB · Views: 131
Sponsored Links
Do give us a close up pic of the post, bracket and broken bolt.....I'm sure some sort of repair will be possible!
John :)

Thank you! I'll post some pics this weekend. Determined not to pay someone if I can do it myself!!

Some pics of the wall fixings attached, and a picture showing the fixings on the post that is sound. The top screw seems fine but the other is wrecked. Am I right in thinking that I can drill a second hole above the ruined screw and add a new second fixing but keep the top one? Can I just use thunderbolts? Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_7524.JPG
    IMG_7524.JPG
    326.1 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_7525.JPG
    IMG_7525.JPG
    347.2 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_7526.JPG
    IMG_7526.JPG
    305.2 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_7527.JPG
    IMG_7527.JPG
    486.5 KB · Views: 103
Sponsored Links
Thanks for the pics!
Indeed you can use a new fixing above the old broken one, and the centre of the brick is the place to be.
You should be able to use thunderbolts of you want, personally I prefer Fischer frame fixings...10mm in diameter which can be tightened by a spanner rather than a screwdriver. For these you need a 10mm wood bit for the post and a 10mm masonry bit - together with a SDS drill of course.

Great - thanks so much for your reply - if I'm drilling into the brick, should I drill a smaller pilot hole or just go for it with a 10mm bit?

For sure, drilling a pilot hole - say 6mm - won't do any harm!
I'd position the post in place, and get it completely vertical - and then drill through the timber. The drill will mark the brick and show you where to start.
Choose a thunderbolt which will get a nice deep fixing in the brick.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back