Repairing Sand Stone window surrounds ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

I'm hoping to repair cracked/chipped sandstone on my windows and coping stones in preparation for painting. Please see the images, there are worse chips on the other face of the house.

My plan was to, wire brush all loose material, brush debris away, fungicidal scrub, use premixed quick set cement to repair the chipped areas slowly building it back into the original shape, dry, then paint with Sandtex exterior smooth.

Can you repair bare sandstone with cement? or do I need to treat with something to get a better bond?

sandstone.png

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
What are you proposing to paint?
Is this a listed building?

What are you proposing to paint?
Is this a listed building?

Hi, no this is not a listed building. I propose to repair using cement and a bonding agent if necessary? then paint the sandstone window surround (all of the orange part), then the part above the light, and also the coping stones which run up either side of the roof trim of the porch roof.

I think painting over the stonework sounds horrible, but I guess no-one can stop you.

Sponsored Links
Most area are already painted... hence the need to repair huge cracks and parts which have fallen off and tidy up with a painting, and dvice on using cement and bonding agents? please

Look at
Toupret Touprelith F Masonry Repair Filler Powder

Or by some SBR and make up your own mix with sand and cement.

I have repaired stone by smashing a pieces of the same type of stone and mixing it with two pack resin . first I mix in enough powered stone so the mixture is quite sticky and coat the surface of damaged area to prime it then quickly add more dust to the mix until its like stiff putty,whack it on and shape it.
litl

The top left and bottom middle highlighted areas just look like they need re-pointing with cement. The middle of picture highlighted area is purely decorative and doesn't need repairing for any structural reason. You could probably mix up a small quantity of cement and red mortar dye to match the colour and sculpt it on. Maybe you want to jet wash it all first to get back to the true colour because it looks filthy. Then again it suits looking filthy. Cool looking house.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back