Repairing Scratched Veneer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking at a second hand subwoofer which is light oak veneer however has some scratches to the veneer. I've attached a couple of pictures from the seller.

With it being real veneer, I'm assuming something could be done to hide or at least make the scratches less prominent?

What would I be looking at doing and how well could this kind of damage be repaired / disguised?

Attachments

• IMG_20200802_171134.jpg
    IMG_20200802_171134.jpg
    317.1 KB · Views: 248
  • IMG_20200802_171144.jpg
    IMG_20200802_171144.jpg
    303 KB · Views: 237
Sponsored Links
Modern veneers are incredibly thin (typically 0.4 to 0.8mm) meaning that your options are limited. You may want to look at trying to fill the scratch using coloured waxes such as those by Liberon (you can flake off more than one colour and knead them together in your hand to get an exact colour match) or possibly look at a repair pen such as those by Konig. The latter is a slightly riskier approach as you cannot mix the colour exactly. Both approaches are used in the retail furniture trades and shop fitting to disguise minor transport damage

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the advice. Filling with the coloured waxes sounds a better way to go.

Having examined the pictures more closely one of the scratches looks pretty deep and might actually have penetrated the veneer and this definitely feels like it will have more chance of hiding it as much as possible.

Is this the kind of job you'd suggest I attempt myself, or am I best finding someone who knows what they're doing and has experience of such repairs? Any idea who or what kind of cost I'd be looking at for such a repair?

Sponsored Links
You could ask a professional service such as Furniture Medic or contact a local french polisher, but I'd be inclined to DIY. The veneer looks like American white oak, possibly lightly limed, and shouldn"t be too hard to match.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back