Repairing spindles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have some spindles in my garden with the decking and with having a couple of wannabe messi,s the have kicked the ball and snapped them in the middle , I tried to repair one with that no nails carp but tbh it should have been called "dont bother" ..........the spindles are snapped in half but what I want to know is there and metal fixings that will tie/screw the together where you can hide the joints?

Btw , when I come home from work there was 4 kids playing football in the back garden with 3 spindles broke and when I asked them what happened they all said "dont know" annoying yes but it did make me laugh
:LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Exterior wood glue should do it, bind a support timber to each with tape for 24 hours.[and confiscate the ball] ;)

keep them inside a few days to dry out a little then dowel and glue them

you need to look at the way the grain goes and any knots
if the contact area excluding knots isn't 3 times the thickness then buy a new one with straiter grain as gluing wont work

Sponsored Links
I have fixed this problem in the past using double ended screws. Not sure of their proper name but worked a treat. You remove spindle, carefully pilot hole each end that is broken with a smaller drill bit and then screw together with some glue for good measure.

Can you not get cheap replacements instead maybe?!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back