repairing wooden floorboards with tin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any thoughts/help much appreciated

I read in a magazine that in the old days people used to repair holes in wooden floorboards with bits of tin.

I'd like to try this to see if it looks good - our floorboards are very battered and have a few holes.

Does anyone know how this was done? was the piece of tin cut to overlap the hole and then tacked on? was the tin bent to fit within the hole? Has anyone come across this before?

thanks very much in advance

Sponsored Links
highly dangerous and and a silly idea :D :D ;)

if you have a hole and you cover it with a bit off nailed on tin you at best have a trip hazzard at worst the floor collapses because the rotton/dammaged joists /floors wherent repaired ;)

its a measure for the poor like boarded up windows or string holding up your fence and newspaper in the toilet ;)

Sponsored Links
I'd like to try this to see if it looks good

If it was used then they would have laid carpet or lino over it, just stops your stilettos getting stuck in a hole. ;)

The only decorative use of tin is the victorian pressed ceiling panels and the odd pie chest panel.

Jason

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back