Replace battery on modern car - issues?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is replacing the battery on a modern as easy it has always been? Or should I be wary of anything else more fancy such as ECUs? etc.

What about radio resetting etc?

Sponsored Links
Some have a battery monitoring system that might need resetting when the battery is changed. What make/model of car is it?

my Audi A3 - 14 reg had to have a particular battery because of the stop/start and also the ECU had to be told it was a new battery and programmed in.
I was going to replace myself from halford, but thats when i got the advice and my local halfords did not have the kit for my car.
Plus the garage i usually use, had to order the battery in as they did not have on shelf, and then program it, which took a lot longer, i suspect they share the kit between garages for different makes - i know my old garage in Surrey did that , since the cost was so high for anything other than the generic types. Things may have changed a bit recently with covid

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Roger, type your registration into the Yuasa Battery website and it will tell you if the battery needs coding to your car (unlikely).
If it doesn’t then its only the radio code you need - all the other functions will relearn.
John :)

Most modern cars seem to have the radio coded to the ecu so no need to reprogram it. Sometimes you have to reset the electric windows so that they auto reverse if there’s an obstructions as well as the auto open/close feature.

Thanks everyone.
Well, I bought and fitted the replacement battery. No problems at all. Simply disconnected the old one and installed the new. Just had to re-set the clock, that's all.
Thanks for the help and words of reassurance.

Back