Replace cooker hood myself?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have removed old cooker hood & chimney, leaving me with what’s shown in the photo.

Presuming my next step is to remove the hardwiring that goes into the socket from the existing motor so I can then remove what’s left of the old appliance, leaving just the socket & then hardwire new appliance straight in to the socket?

Have found a replacement with same dimensions

Or do I just bite the bullet & pay for an electrician!

Attachments

• IMG_2437.jpeg
    IMG_2437.jpeg
    262.4 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_2438.jpeg
    IMG_2438.jpeg
    250.1 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_2460.jpeg
    IMG_2460.jpeg
    184.7 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_2461.jpeg
    IMG_2461.jpeg
    225.7 KB · Views: 73
Sponsored Links
Gosh that IS unusual.

I guess what you do next depends on your confidence in your diy abilities

Between myself & my partner we’re “ok” diy wise, he will be ok hard wiring the new appliance in. Never done a cooker hood replacement though & as you say it looks unusual ha ha!

I’m guessing that once we disconnect the existing wires & so can remove the existing motor the set up will look much more simple to be able to start with the new one!

Bite the bullet, the isolator for the appliance should be accessible not hidden behind the chimney. Even if it did not cause you a problem it will confuse somebody in the future.

Sponsored Links
We managed to do it, leaving the socket which looks much more simple so have confidence to fit the new one when it arrives now! :)

Attachments

• IMG_2469.jpeg
    IMG_2469.jpeg
    257 KB · Views: 36

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back