Replace Honeywell 6400c

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
IMG_0078.JPG
bought a hive today and installed it seemed to work but receiver keeps going red after a while . Think I'd have preferred a nest so am going to return and get a nest which I'll place where the old thermostat is

Here is a pic of my Honeywell 6400c backplate

Left to right they are labelled N L 1 2 3 4 far left is earth I believe ?

It's an ideal boiler with hot water cylinder and an old style Honeywell dial thermostat downstairs boiler is ideal classic ff360

There is a Honeywell junction box so would that make it sundial y plan?

The backplate didn't fit so I swapped backplate over replacing cables in same terminals

Have I done something wrong causing the red light or was it just losing connection

I didn't disconnect the thermostat nor join cables as I read turning it up full did same?

Sorry for all questions any help appreciated

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
The wiring on the Hive is identical to your old wiring. A red light suggests a problem with the wireless signal to the thermostat, and to contact Hive for support.

If your walls are thick stone or contain a lot of metal, or the stat is a long way from the receiver, you may have problems with any wireless thermostat. A lot of houses are filled with wireless signals, which can interfere with one another. Placing the receiver too close to things like the boiler or other large metal objects will also reduce the signal range.

As you have a wire in the hot water off terminal it is likely you have a Y plan system.

Disconnecting the existing thermostat cable from the wiring centre, and fitting a link in it's place is a good idea to prevent someone accidentally turning the old stat down.

The Nest is a wonderful piece of kit, works well and has a very tactile feel, but beware the fiddly terminals on the Nest receiver. They're very small, even for 0.5mm2 cable, and some require two wires in one terminal.

MM

Sponsored Links
The hub is at bottom of stairs with direct line of sight to the receiver I had the stat right at top of stairs and tried the hub at top with home plugs it still did it ?

Would a nest wire in the same way? Also my thermostat has 3 wires will the nest be compatible if I replace the stat and have it wired in

Cheers guys

The boiler is behind the wall where the controller is placed not a lot I can do there it's over the 30cm it says

Will nest be a better bet as its wired thermostat ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back