Replace metal bead on timber window

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
I am getting some Cedar cladding installed around a timber framed window.The window has a metal strip or bead along the bottom edge. This will not be wide enough to bring any rain water out over the cladding.

Are these metal beads easy to remove - I tried but couldn't. The carpenter has put a boton directly under the bead making it even harder to access.
Even if I could remove it are different depth beads available ? I assume these pieces have a special profile that I couldn't just replace it with a new piece of metal.

Do I have any other options ?

Attachments

• IMG20230715112142.jpg
    IMG20230715112142.jpg
    401.1 KB · Views: 46
Sponsored Links
It's the piece spanning the width of the glass directly under the glass.
Each side of the window had a wooden bead but on the bottom that piece is metal not wood. It's slightly greyish brown in colour.
It's not a solid piece seems to be L Shaped to carry water out away from the frame.

Question is - does that piece come off, if so come off easily and if so would it be possible to replace with a different wider profile that would extend over my new cladding.

Or, what would be the best solution in my situation.
Should I leave that piece in place and allow rain water to drip behind my cladding.

Attachments

• IMG20230712124901.jpg
    IMG20230712124901.jpg
    518.9 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG20230716094007.jpg
    IMG20230716094007.jpg
    186.8 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back