Replace Old Boiler or Not?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Just after a bit of advise as to if this is even worth doing.

I have an old Potterton Boiler netaheat 22 (15 Years old?) which is running fine at the moment and i have seen a few offers on new boilers. Now if i was to spend £2k on a new boiler would this be a viable option in terms of savings? Currently spend about £70 in gas a month give or take during the winter months so if i bought a new boiler how much more efficient would it actually be?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Viable for savings - not likely.
20% saving = 12 years to cover the cost, by which time your new boiler will be life expired or will have required expensive repairs.

Unless your existing boiler is falling apart and is likely to need very expensive repairs soon, keep it.

If it's still got the original controls (timer, thermostat etc.), then replacing the controls with new ones can save money at a fraction of the price of a new boiler.

You should also ensure you have decent wall and loft insulation.

I'm inclined to agree with Flameport..
Little or no savings whatsoever, possibly more expensive in the long term.

Good insulation is a much better investment.
Keep the old Netaheat until it falls off the wall, and kills you. You won't be needing a new boiler then anyway..

You will probably get a 30% saving in gas and that will increase in value as costs rise.

A new boiler and TRVs should be a bit less than £2k.

But the time to replace is when it next breaks down which,ay not be for a few years!

Tony

Sponsored Links
Neta heat 22 try 25 +years old .
It is not unusual for them to be rotten at the back which is not easily seen

Only replace a boiler when there is a serious breakdown of the boiler.
Otherwise there is no justification for replacing a boiler that is working.

Ok thanks for the advise, looks like its a keeper and time to finish off the loft insulation. Unable to have wall insulation as its 1900 house with no cavity!

I love how others love to spend other peoples money, having a gas boiler isn`t just about everyday running costs its also the installation and up keep cost that comes into it.
BG would have you spending 3 grand plus to renew it then tell you that your new state of the art fuel saving boiler needs to be insured at around 200 quid a year because it would cost more than that for repairs.
Keep what you have if your happy with it
Only thing i would say about certain new boilers is they get the heat into the rads quicker so rooms heat up quicker and better comfort levels

Only replace a boiler when there is a serious breakdown of the boiler.
Otherwise there is no justification for replacing a boiler that is working.

I was just going to say the same.

15 years ago that would have been badges as the early profile and prior to that, the neataheat profile and prior to that the neataheat , either 10-16 or 16-22 model. There's asbestos in them there boilers. The 16 pin relays are bloody expensive too, or at was the last one I had out

I dont think that I have seen a 16 pin relay in a boiler!

Nor a relay costing more than £12.

Tony

Wow turkeys talking for Christmas!!! I go with Agile on this...

A decent new boiler with compensation controls will turn in a good service...I know of several doing their 7th year with only an expansion vessel top up, others are i know of are in year ten...but always with compensation controls

I would do the research on this and plan for a boiler chance after the loft insulation!!!

is it really any surprise those who make living repairing boilers suggest keeping it, and those who make a living installing new ones suggest replacing it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back