Replace or add secondary glazing to my old patio doors?

zo

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had an extension added to my through lounge 24 years ago. The french windows were replaced by aluminium framed double glazed patio doors. They are still in good condition, airtight and seals are OK, but the area is very cold in the winter.
I wonder whether the chill in the area is because the frames/glass allows heat to escape quickly. Would it be worth for me to add a secondary glazing (these have aluminium frames) to my existing patio doors or should I replace them with new PVC framed double glazed patio doors? I have to weigh up the costs, the effficiency and the insulating qualities of either. Will be it warmer with secondary glazing which I have had estimates of around £600- £700 or should I spend more and get a good quality PVC patio doors?
In short, which would give me better insulation - new PVC double glazed patio doors or add secondary glazing to my existing doors?
Thank you.

Sponsored Links
I would go for the PVC. They should keep your home warmer and I'd imagine will last longer too.

secondary is no where near as good as double glazing especially a few years old
the main advantage off secondary glazing is when it covers the whole opening and stops draughts and sound transmission through the gaps

Thanks for your responses. I have decided to save up and replace my old patio doors with PVC framed double glazed doors.
Is there any difference in the quality of double glazing comparing Everest, Anglian and Astral windows.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
youl probably get a better deal from a local company but shop around and play one off against the other
oo and dont assume a local number means a local company a company can get a number local to your area and be several dozen miles away the will get say 40 local numbers over a 100mile radius
so if you do phone a company you believe to be local ask where they are based without saying where you are

agreed, avoid the big companies, all you will do will pay extra staight into the salesmans pocket. You will definately not get a better window from them over smaller companies.

I'll second that. I've just had a number of windows replaced with UPVC double glazed units. Used a proper local company, which was made up of 2 guys only. Same guys every time I spoke to them. They got the windows made up to order, same as the big players will I imagine.

Great fitting, great service and I know where they live :)

That and they were many £100s less than the big companies.

In fact, out of principal, don't even try Everest. I asked them round for a quote and they asked if my house was owned by me or jointly. I asked why they wanted to know and their response was:

"We need agreement from all owners because sometimes husbands don't consult their wives and then we don't get paid as they argue. Also, we need both parties there because sometimes our salespeople are women and there could be issues if there was just a man in the house".

My respsone was to ask them if they thought all their customers were bad communiticating sex offenders. I didn't get a response. They didn't get the work.

To give you a idea of cost we would normally charge from £900 to £1100 to supply and fit French doors probaly slightly cheaper for a patio door, small local companies are better as you will get the right price first time no stupid buy it now and I will cut it Fromm £3500 to £1500.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back