Replace Potterton EP2 with Hive - advice required

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I got great advice here when I replaced a Potterton EP2000 with Hive (thanks @stem) so now we've moved and I hope to repeat the trick but with a Potterton EP2 and a Sunvic thermostat. This one looks simpler and previous threads help but am I right with the following:
EP2 - match all wires to the Hive equivalent, except 5 which I should isolate?
Sunvic - join red and yellow and isolate blue?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Sunvic Thermostat.jpg
    Sunvic Thermostat.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 82
  • Potterton EP2 + Hive.jpg
    Potterton EP2 + Hive.jpg
    192 KB · Views: 118
Sponsored Links
Thanks Chris.
Yes, I should have included the wiring diagram for the Sunvic but you're right, the yellow is switched live and the red permanent live.
For wire 5 in the EP2, I'll just remove it then.
Appreciate the response and the work you put into looking at!

Attachments

• Sunvic wiring diagram.jpg
    Sunvic wiring diagram.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 46
Sounds good to me (y)

As @CBW said just loose the link between L and 5. Hive has this link already made internally.

And yes the yellow and red are the live and switched live respectively.

Capture.JPG

Ideally you could trace the thermostat cable back to it's origin, disconnect it and then link the terminals where the red and yellow have just been removed from together so that they are electrically connected. Then you can remove the original cable and thermostat completely.

If you were just to join the red and yellow wires together, wiring regs require that an accessory be present to indicate the presence of live cables. So, the connection shouldn't just be buried in the wall and hidden. Which would mean either leaving the old thermostat in place, or replacing it with a junction box.

Sponsored Links
Thanks @stem, that makes a lot of sense. I like a tidy solution, so I'll try to find and remove the thermostat cable but, if not, I'll replace the thermostat with a junction box, as you suggest.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back