Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I’m looking at fitting a hive control in the place of a potterton EP2
I understand the live and neutral but can’t seem to get the wiring for the on/off for both the heating and water
I have attached a photo of the current wiring
Could someone please assist as to what order I should wire I understand my existing thermostat can be excluded but not sure how
Thanks

Attachments

• 372B8440-22EA-4229-A072-AB3400F30A4B.jpeg
    372B8440-22EA-4229-A072-AB3400F30A4B.jpeg
    195.2 KB · Views: 701
  • BEF1A152-F9DC-42A8-9052-AE602F61FCA8.jpeg
    BEF1A152-F9DC-42A8-9052-AE602F61FCA8.jpeg
    207.2 KB · Views: 581
Sponsored Links
First of all you need the Dual Channel version of the Hive.

Electrically speaking you are just changing two switches (HW & CH) for two identical switches. As you have posted, the EP has the connections as below.

EP.JPG

The wires from the EP move to the Hive connections that have the same function, and as you can see from the Hive diagram below in your case the terminals correspond, N-N / L-L / 1-1 / 3-3 / 4-4. The wire link presently in the EP between terminals L and 5 can be discarded as this is already made for you inside the Hive, so the Hive doesn't need, or have a terminal 5.

Don't worry that terminal 2 doesn't have a wire in, the only wires / connections you need are those that are already there.

Hive.JPG

Sometimes the EP range of programmers have additional terminals for use by the installer, and labelled A B C D. They don't have any function as far as the programmer is concerned, they are just connectors. You don't show them in your photo, but if they are there and used, the wires in them should remain connected together exactly as they are now.

Finally any existing room thermostat should be decommissioned, by linking the live switching wires together so that it doesn't interfere with the operation of the Hive, it can't just be disconnected otherwise the heating wiring would remain 'open circuit' and the heating will not operate. If you need any help with this then post back details of the existing room thermostat and the wires going to it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back