Replace the shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In our main bathroom we've a shower which only has over head shower. With young kids we prefer handheld shower and I want to know what would be the simplest way of replacing this shower or adding a handheld shower to the current setup?
Bathroom was done by the previous owner of the house so I don't want to damage any tiles because I've no idea where they purchased them from.
Would something like this work?
https://www.victorianplumbing.co.uk...VAuDtCh3xUgRHEAQYASABEgImUPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

If I somehow only break just enough tiles to expose the copper pipes underneath and then attach them with a shower like this. It'll also hide the broken tiles underneath?

Attachments

• 20191230_094311.jpg
    20191230_094311.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 275
Sponsored Links
1. Those tiles look like porcelain. If so, nothing but diamond tools will cut them reliably.
2. Re. the setup you reference, there is no way of telling how much of an access hole you would need to create to amend pipework and install, and thius no way of knowing whether the hole would be covered.
3. If you could accurately locate the pipe going up to the shower head behind the tiles, you might be able to fit something like https://www.tapwarehouse.com/p/flova-xl4wdiv. Same proviso applies on size of hole and size of cover plate.
4. You could consider cutting out a larger area of the existing tiles, installing what you want, then making good with contrasting tiles.
5. The large shower head there at present may be attached via a 1/2" BSP thread. If so, you could consider removing the head altogether and attaching a riser rail and just a hand held shower, connected to the overhead pipe. Bit of a bodge, but no damage to tiles involved.

oldbuffer thanks for the useful suggestions.
I think for now I'll go with your point number 5. The easiest to implement.
Long run point 4 seems most likely.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back