Replace the waste on Mira shower tray without lifting the floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have inherited a neglected shower in the en-suite with a house we bought recently.

Is it possible to replace the manky peeling chrome waste on this Mira shower tray without remove the shower tray? I don't want to try and force it for fear of it coming to pieces and making work for myself. Picture should be below or attached.

The whole en-suite will be replaced next year, but I would like to spruce it up a bit in the mean time.

Any advice would be gratefully received. Thank you.

IMG_4451.jpgIMG_4450.jpg

Sponsored Links
Four options -

1 - Lift the flooring and replace the waste.

2 - Get a long drill bit, drill down through the centre of the waste through the ceiling below. Go downstairs, cut some plasterboard away where the hole is, replace the waste, patch ceiling and paint.

3 - Just replace the chrome part, unscrew it and screw a replacement in. Two problems, getting the right chrome part, and hoping the waste doesn't drop in the floor void, not all installers wedge something under the trap. Maybe any crud/silicone might hold it in place.

4 - Get someone to do it.

I would do option 3, and if it drops, then option 2. If it's Artex / paper ceiling below, take the floor covering up.

Sponsored Links
Thank you for the answers. Considering there is no guaranteed quick fix based on the very helpful suggestions by @Bonni I will go with @reds42 suggestion and leave it for the time being.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back