Replacement Boiler Quotes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am currently in the process of getting my existing boiler replaced and thought people who were about to go through the same may be interested in my experience of quotations.

I initially sought a quote from an installer who had previously carried out work for somebody I know. He quoted nearly £2400.

Given that the work was a straight swap over, I felt this was a bit on the steep side, I was expecting a quote in the order of £1900-£2000 and would probably have gone with him if it had been the case.

Given the high quote I requested a price from another installer. The second installer quoted £1800.

The original installer subsequently came back to me to ask if I wanted him to carry out the work so I informed him that I had recieved a quote for £1800. To which he replied would you be interested if I can do it for £1700.

I have since told him that I have told the second installer he can have the work at £1800 and I will not go back on my word.

I do not have a problem with somebody quoting £2400 for work if that is what they believe the cost should be, what I do have an issue with is the fact that this installer has clearly over priced the work thinking I would only get a quote from him, and is now happy to undercut a fellow Engineer.

Undercutting is a dangerous game that everybody should be wary of. If everybody undercuts, then profit margins become small to non existent. In many industries undercutting has lead to firms effectively buying work to stay afloat, this is not the way forward!

In short if you are a consumer obtain multiple quotes, and if you are an engineer / installer price fairly to include your profit in the first place, do not say you will beat any like for like quote.

Sponsored Links
you make no mention of whether the two quotes involve exactly the same work.
What boiler was he fitting for £2400 and the other guy for £1800?
There is a substantial price difference between some boilers.
Were you quoted for powerflush or magnaclean or upgrade of controls?
Make no mistake the pared down quotes you get will invariably mean the installer wants to finish the job in double quick time with little respect for cosmetic niceties otherwise he wouldn't be able to make a living.

I can see your point but only as long as your comparing like for like.....

I too have at times put in silly quotes ie overpriced. This is because i am already swamped and have promised a quote so i do one. It's intended to be turned down. Sounds daft but sometimes having met the customer i don't want to work for them due to a gut feeling etc. But if the customer accepted i would work a weekend or late to fit it in because it's financially worth any potential agro.

Possibly the first engineer was already booked up and quoted high but then had a cancellation. I don't overprice often (once/twice a year)and in all the years of fitting i have only ever had 2 accepted! And i turned one of em down.......landlord and they are not the best of customers

Thanks for the responses guys,

Steady - You are correct, I did forget to mention that the two quotes were indeed like for like. WB 37Cdi combi with wireless optimiser control.
However, in this situation it is not actually relevant. The quotes that are to be examined against one another are both fro the 1st installer. i.e. his £2400 and his how about if I do it for £1700 then.
As for cosmetic niceties. The boiler is to be installed in an integral garage at the exact same location as the WB 350 combi that is to be replaced. Therefore not really that much cosmetic surgery required.

Powell - As above the like for like is a given.
I totally understand where you are coming from on the issue regarding overpricing when swamped, but as my existing boiler is working just a bit tempremental, I made it perfectly clear that the installation could be carried out at any time to suit him, no rush. Guess it must be the latter then, I must be a lousy customer ;)
Again though I will re iterate I have no issue in somebody providing a high quote, that is their choice, and mine to choose whether to accept. What I do not like is the undercutting of another persons fair quote. This can only serve to further damage the public conception of engineers and installers not to mention the livelihood of he installer who provided a fair quote at the first attempt.

I am not in the habit of throwing away a £100 but I feel so strongly against this practice that I am happy to pay the £1800 and will not be going back to the 2nd installer to say can you match or beat the £1700, where does it stop?

Sponsored Links
£1800 is a good price with that boiler. Materials would come to at least £1300 possibly as much as £1400. Agree £2.4k is a touch ambitious.
Bearing in mind the installer's overheads he will be doing the job for a modest profit. It is a one day job in theory but not the most relaxing way of earning a day's wages. There are easier jobs out there.

Agreed on price. Just turned down the offer to quote on a 37cdi as he had a quote of 1650 all in. My materials come to close that (3 mtres of flue extension and a difficult condense run unless i fit a pump (more cost).

And yes it is good to hear your sticking with the second quote. Decent honourable customers are as hard to find sometimes as decent engineers!

Having done a little research into material costs beforehand, I agree with the £1300-1400 materials (always good to have an idea of materials costs before getting quotes). Hence the reason I was expecting a quote around £1900.
Trust me this one is as simple as it gets, 22mm gas existing (short distance from gas meter), new Wireless controls, and I have even put in an 1 1/4" waste at the boiler location for the condensate run.

what is the existing boiler?

make sure the system is properly cleaned

just cos its 22mm doesnt been its big enough

i would have given a price of £2,125 for an install, but with a straight forward change like yours i would have certainly been able to give a less than £2k figure

Seems a bit strange the other guy can just lop £700 off the price, i dont think i would be happy to have what i would tend to regard as a bit of a "chancer" working in my house,although of course comments above about him having a cancellation may be true.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back