Replacement combi...

C

chesketh

Currently have a ravenheat littlestar combi, that is 5yrs old. It started to play up a few months back, with intermittant HW, and HW keep cutting out, and also starting up and cycling of its own accord randomly. People have been out, but been unable to fix it, and have commented that the boiler itself is a bit crap anyhow. Finally lost patience, and got a quote for a replacement, but told they now have to be condensing boilers..... Got a quote for a stright swap for a worcester-bosch one, but no idea of model, quote was £1760. Is this the current costing for a standard swapout nowadays?
Also the chap who quoted me also mentioned that the Gas pipe leading to the combi is too small at 15mm, and should be 22mm. No-one else who has serviced this boiler has mentioned this. Is this correct. Dont mind paying, as gas is one of the things I will not touch DIY wise, but dont want to be ripped off. The plumber wants £130 on top to convert the pipe to 22mm. I have seem some decent boilers for worcester-bosch and vaillant for circa £800-850, so how much is this guy charging for labor??

Any advice??

Sponsored Links
Currently have a ravenheat littlestar combi, that is 5yrs old. It started to play up a few months back, with intermittant HW, and HW keep cutting out, and also starting up and cycling of its own accord randomly. People have been out, but been unable to fix it, and have commented that the boiler itself is a bit crap anyhow. Finally lost patience, and got a quote for a replacement, but told they now have to be condensing boilers..... Got a quote for a stright swap for a worcester-bosch one, but no idea of model, quote was £1760. Is this the current costing for a standard swapout nowadays?
Also the chap who quoted me also mentioned that the Gas pipe leading to the combi is too small at 15mm, and should be 22mm. No-one else who has serviced this boiler has mentioned this. Is this correct. Dont mind paying, as gas is one of the things I will not touch DIY wise, but dont want to be ripped off. The plumber wants £130 on top to convert the pipe to 22mm. I have seem some decent boilers for worcester-bosch and vaillant for circa £800-850, so how much is this guy charging for labor??

Any advice??

Grab this guy with both hands as not only is that price based on a worcester (not my favourite) but he had the instant smarts to mention the pipe needed upgrading.
The reason no one mentioned the pipe size previously is due to the fact your old boiler may have been fine on its 15mm run or it may be a bad install however new condensing boilers should always be run on 22mm.
It will take him best part of half a day which you will not see sourcing the materials you need then another half getting rid of the old stuff, the price also incorperates the visit he has already been on. Add 17.5% to the prices you have seen for vat and the price seems reasonable to me.

Depends what area you are, but the price sounds about average, provided it includes a powerflush etc.

I would have expected the gas pipe upgrade to be included, as the boiler would be useless without it.

Get a couple more quotes.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice guys. According to the install manual for the boiler I have, it takes a 15mm gas pipe, as its feed, as long as its 3m or less, from a 22mm pipe, so I guess I need to find the 22mm bit of pipe, which I suspect is behind the cooker from memory.
He hasnt (and refused) to tell me the model of boiler, as it only needs to run 6rads, and 3 hot taps, and refused to tell me the cost of the boiler or give me a breakdown of costs, which makes me a little suspicous, but it may be unfounded. Surely I get a choice of the preferred make.......

Thanks for the advice guys. According to the install manual for the boiler I have, it takes a 15mm gas pipe, as its feed, as long as its 3m or less, from a 22mm pipe, so I guess I need to find the 22mm bit of pipe, which I suspect is behind the cooker from memory.
He hasnt (and refused) to tell me the model of boiler, as it only needs to run 6rads, and 3 hot taps, and refused to tell me the cost of the boiler or give me a breakdown of costs, which makes me a little suspicous, but it may be unfounded. Surely I get a choice of the preferred make.......

The cost of the boiler is of no interest to you, and neither is the breakdown price.

You are paying for a complete package, which includes labour and materials, as well as his profit and guarantee if it goes wrong.

You are entitled to know what is included in the quote, and that should be listed.

As I already said get another quote or two.

This must be a wind up.if he is refusing? To tell you the model why would you continue.

I think your comments just enhance the fact that everyone thinks they are going to get ripped off when something with their boiler / plumbing goes wrong. I make you right that there is allot of tradesmen giving the industry a bad name but what you have to appreciate is that people can’t work for free, supply, fit and gtd means allot these days.

I disagree with Bingobongos attitude of payup or shut up, probably not the advice you’re looking for. I agree with doitall, you have to get a few more quotes and then go with what you are confident with, maybe look at the trades men websites that should really have testimonials of previous jobs, in some cases the testimonials don’t count for much but if you request some numbers for the testimonials you can spend 5 mins making a phone call that will save you £ and also give you piece for mind. It is a shame that this industry is so untrustworthy but there are ways of getting the best tradesmen for the best prices – sticking your figure in the air and hoping you get the best for the cheapest is not the way forward.

Also you can have a good look online for boiler prices – researching online will at least give you a little insight of price structure etc. Have a butchers at Energy Smart, www.energy-smart.org.uk as you can get a good idea of boiler prices from there. Also have a look at http://www.whatprice.co.uk/plumbing/prices.html as again there is some interesting information, not to be taken as gospel but will help you all the same.

Anyway have a good new-year & I hope you get it sorted soon!

That price seems reasonable should you be getting a mid range worcester.

It should also include a power flush, upgrade to gas supply, upgrade to controls if needed i.e room stat and or TRV's. Part L compliance.

Also, the boiler needs to registered you will receive a certficate, benchmark filled out and a minor works electrical certficate for electrical works carried out.

You have no right whatsoever to know what price he is getting the materials for!!! At the end of the day when you buy a car or a pair of jeans........does the garage or shop owner tell you what they paid for the car or jeans NO!

Would you ask NO!

A business is there to make a profit i.e money left over after all costs and wages have been deducted, if there is no profit, then there is no point in being in business.

Remember the next time you distrust a tradesman trying to make a living, that YOUR boss has to make a profit in his business or YOU would be out a job.

People like you make me sick!!

An NICEIC, OFTEC, Gas Safe and MCS Registered installer/business

That price seems reasonable should you be getting a mid range worcester.

It should also include a power flush, upgrade to gas supply, upgrade to controls if needed i.e room stat and or TRV's. Part L compliance.

You have no right whatsoever to know what price he is getting the materials for!!! At the end of the day when you buy a car or a pair of jeans........does the garage or shop owner tell you what they paid for the car or jeans NO!

Would you ask NO!

A business is there to make a profit i.e money left over after all costs and wages have been deducted, if there is no profit, then there is no point in being in business.

Remember the next time you distrust a tradesman trying to make a living, that YOUR boss has to make a profit in his business or YOU would be out a job.

People like you make me sick!!

An NICEIC, OFTEC, Gas Safe and MCS Registered installer/business

not helpful...... If you dont want to provide helpful advice, then dont post crap like this...... I am not trying to get something for nothing, and for your information, I think I am entitled to some form of cost breakdown, for parts and labour. I dont want, nor need a top of the range boiler, as it only runs 6rads, and 3 hot taps. Shower is electric. My Boss is the Government/NHS so I fully realise the tight spot EVERYONE is in. The price quoted does not include powerflush or new gas run if needed, thats also extra, which is a little annoying.

Thanks for the HELPFUL advice tomplumb, I will be getting some more quotes, and go with the Plumber who offers the best service, even if its slight more expensive than the cheapest quote, but I do want to know what type of boiler he will be providing. Have a good new year yourself.

You are right to demand what they have quoted for,(materials and what is included) unless you want to get a bucket load of extra's (I never quoted for that) added to the final bill, Not knowing is the shortest road to getting ripped off.

For that price I would expect a complete package, and that includes flushing the system, gas pipe etc.

The breakdown of cost is not going to bring the price down, so why does it matter so much? It borders on insulting.
The overall price, spec of the job and who you use is what matters.
No doubt you could probably buy the boiler yourself and get some monkey to "fit it" on the cheap. Down the line you will probably be scratching your nuts wondering why the boiler is causing you problems, seen it all too often.

The breakdown of cost is not going to bring the price down, so why does it matter so much? It borders on insulting.
No doubt you could probably buy the boiler yourself and get some monkey to "fit it" on the cheap. Down the line you will probably be scratching your nuts wondering why the boiler is causing you problems, seen it all too often.

I could buy the boiler, and if I did, I would not skimp, I would NEVER get someone to fit on the cheap, as gas is something not to be messed with, particularly with 2 kids in the house. you comment that I would borders on insulting also. All I wanted to know, which the plumber will not give is the spec/breakdown of the job he intends to do, for the cost he has quoted..... What has he got to hide???

I could buy the boiler, and if I did, I would not skimp, I would NEVER get someone to fit on the cheap, as gas is something not to be messed with, particularly with 2 kids in the house. you comment that I would borders on insulting also. All I wanted to know, which the plumber will not give is the spec/breakdown of the job he intends to do, for the cost he has quoted..... What has he got to hide???

You have obviously got something to hide.
Thinking about starting up on your own?
But you are skimping as you want to know what colour pants the fitter will be wearing when he comes to fit the boiler.
Spec is one thing which should be done, a full price beakdown is another matter.
People who give a complete price with a full spec and do not break down the price dont have anything to hide, its in your imagination.
You either want to pay the asking price or you dont.
You remind me of a guy I was going to do a quote for the other day, he was more concerned about getting me to buy the boiler in advance cos he might save a couple of quid on the vat. I told him he wants to worry more about getting the work done right instead, that will be more cost effective in the long term.
Also the possibility of trying to use it to knock the price down what do you think you would get? A proper job done?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back